Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

? about breeding Tylototriton cf kweichowensis

frogman

Reaction score
Hi,

I am almost done with a winter simulation and am going to start a winter cooling for my Tylo cf kweichows. I have read as many of the older posts as possible and i need one final definite
answer.

How cool?

How long for cool?

How deep for the water?

How big for the water?

How cool for the water?

How many do i need to breed?

How to remove eggs?

How to care for larvae?

How do i care for the young?

Pictures

I am ready to be flooded with information. Just answer these questions.

I am not sure of what sexes i have here are 2 pics of each one.

Pics 1-2 are the biggest that i think is a male

Pics 3-4 is my one that i think is a female

Pics 5-6 another ''female''

Pics 7-8 is a one that i don't know

Attachments

• CIMG4922.jpg
    CIMG4922.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 628
  • CIMG4923.jpg
    CIMG4923.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 529
  • CIMG4929.jpg
    CIMG4929.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 449
  • CIMG4928.jpg
    CIMG4928.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 439
  • CIMG4926.jpg
    CIMG4926.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 478
  • CIMG4925.jpg
    CIMG4925.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 419
  • CIMG4931.jpg
    CIMG4931.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 442
  • CIMG4930.jpg
    CIMG4930.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 459

Chamaeleo

Reaction score
Hi!
I can help you in sexing: the animal on pics 1-2 is a female, the other three are males.
For further information I think you should read the caresheet about T. shanjing, this species has similar requirements as T. kweichowensis.

frogman

Reaction score
I thought that the one with the big cloaca was a male.

frogman

Reaction score
So now the big question is do i have proper breeding ratio.

ummi

Reaction score
AW: Re: ? about breeding Tylototriton cf kweichowensis

I agree with Chamaeleo

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Shanjing and kweichowensis are similar. The big difference is kweichowensis like to swim. Most populations of shanjing will not do well with deep water. I'd give them much more water than shanjing and do huge water changes in spring early summer to trigger breeding.

frogman

Reaction score
So i don't do a cooling period and just move them into a tank with lots of water with a small island. I don't quite understand. Do you have pics or drawings of a good breeding tank. I would very much love to breed these.

frogman

Reaction score
Hey sorry. What type of changes. I was going to do a November dry and in the low 60s and then in December move them into a 20 long 3/4 water and 1/4 land with a small calm filter. No dirt. Small moss areas. A sloping rock decent into the 6'' deep water with sand and live plants. During the winter cooling they will have light changes to work with the shorter days. Do i have a good breeding ratio of one female and three males?

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with Ummi and Chamaleo regarding sexing.
And yes the Tylototriton's are better in inverted ratios like the one you have. 2.1. Shall be perfect. And yes somebody does know! Peter Umminger (Ummi) Breed these animals in previous years from witch I got my CB's from.
Cheers!
_MG_7513.jpg

_MG_7505.jpg

frogman

Reaction score
Wow those are beautiful individuals. Way more vibrant than mine.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
They're CB and this one was just shed his skin and my cam lens also gives me a hand making them the most beautiful cf. kweichow's in the planet :p
Thanks Ummi!

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I am considering experimenting with keeping this species outside in the winter at some point, with a deep bed of leaf litter, though with caution and much insulation. They can certainly handle some cold, as I've had them outside briefly into fall with night temperatures down to -4C with no losses. In fact, they've invariably done better outside than in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1