Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops orientalis 2011 mass production

newtboyuk

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Thanks for the information Tudor - very interesting! Did you use any livefoods at all in the early stages or were they on frozen from the moment they started eating?

anfibio

Reaction score
I'm new in this forum, and it's very interesting, your CB H.Orientalis are amazings. Thanks for the information, I will have CB H.Orientalis soon.

Tudor

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Tudor - very interesting! Did you use any livefoods at all in the early stages or were they on frozen from the moment they started eating?

The answer is no. For the very first moment I feed them with defrosted food.
I'm sorry for my late reply, but i saw your post just now.

Kribby

Reaction score
The answer is no. For the very first moment I feed them with defrosted food.
I'm sorry for my late reply, but i saw your post just now.

Everything I have read has said that the efts would only eat live foods so I am happy to hear that you are having such great success with defrosted foods. I am attempting to raise some baby C. orientalis as well and all I can get locally is frozen foods and I was very worried that they would starve because of it.

You have made me a very happy person reading through your post.

Kribby

Reaction score
I'm glad to read that my post may help you :)

Then we are two glad people :happy:

I am thinking of giving your method of keeping the efts in an aquatic environment a try. I might split the groups and do one that way. Just to see if I can manage to have luck with it.

Tudor

Reaction score
I'm sure it will work fain. Just remember to ad a large "bush" of java moss and some Riccia fluitans. And pay atention to temperature. 19-20 Celsius at most.
The tank must have a good light system (daylight fluorescent tubes) in order to promote the growth of the moss and Riccia (also, a moss species :) )
You can also add some liquid nutrient for aquatic plants (such as Feropol by GBL or something similar).
Good luck!

desertiguana

Reaction score
I know this is late but I just wondering if the temperature has to be that low for that long of a time to induce breeding.

Jesper

Reaction score
No, this species does not need that low temps to breed. They generally breed at constant 20C if the conditions are good, however a period with lower temps is probably natural and likely to reinforce breeding behaviour once the temps go up.

AngieD

Reaction score
My sole larva is over 5 months old now, and has still not gone terrestrial, is this normal?

SpaceCadetHayde

Reaction score
Angie, its not unheard of. If the larvae is getting well-fed and being kept at low-temperatures it can hold off on morphing. Its not necessarily a bad thing either. Large larvae are generally easier to feed and care for than tiny terrestrial morphs.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Of the 11 larvae that I am rearing from last year´s breeding (not many in comparison, I know!), three went immediately terrestrial and are doing well on paper towels with moss and broken terracotta pot, fed on whiteworms, springtails and other bits and bobs, but the others seem to want to remain aquatic. They occasionally come onto the cork bark, but show no signs of becoming terrestrial. I made the misktake of putting two of the animals that had crawled onto the cork bark into a terrerstrial set up; one died and the other recovered after going back into the aquatic tannk. At least with mine, they don´t do well being moved until the skin has gone completely hydrophobic.

I have them in a ´large´exo'terra standard faunarium, which is a solid mass of java and willow moss, with a small piece of cork bark that barely breaks the surface. The temperature is very constant, with an air temp of 17C diurnally and 15C nocturnally.

How are your group doing, Tudor?

C

AngieD

Reaction score
Thanks Chris and Hayden, you've put my mind at rest. I make sure there's plenty of daphnia in the tub for him, and my room is kept quite cold (mainly for the paddle-tails). Knowing that keeping them well-fed and cold can delay metamorphosing is a relief. Our adult only laid about 3 eggs (to our knowledge) and 2 died after about a week, so naturally I worry about this one survivor, it's the first larva I have ever looked after

mroblivion1

Reaction score
Wow! This has been soo helpful to me! My breeding pair gave me a total of 9 eggs but 2 weeks ago. One of them hatched last night, then I found another 2 eggs!! :D
Temperature of the tank is 19 degrees constant.
The eggs are in a kitchen mixing bowl (About 2-3 litres).

I have a few questions as i am still learning about the C. Orientalis species:

Will the larvae need separating from the other eggs into another bowl, and would they need lots of plants? I have a large amount of hornwort that i use with my breeding pair and my aquariums, since it doubles in size every week from even low lighting.

Would the larvae need some way of getting out of the water, or will they want to in the next week or so as soon as they start metamorphosis?

I keep my water levels about 2-3" of water, so that they can climb up the side of the tank for air. Is this the right method or can i use a lot of hornwort plant for them to climb on for air?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!