Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

S.S.T. Birth Time Span

wargar

Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping someone can help out here.

I have 2 female Fire Salamanders, both are having live youngsters. They have been giving birth to anything from 1 to 7 youngsters between them, nearly every night, for over a month. Everywhere I have read says they may give birth over a week long period.

There are now big differences in size between those born over a month ago and the 2 born just last night. I now have 4 tubs on the go rearing diffrent sizes of babies because of canabalism. I think after about a week they are to large to be mixed in with new borns before there is a risk of canablism, or they seriously out compete the young ones for food.

I have managed to find 2 good places fo food so they are being offered, daphnia, tubifex, brine shrimp (now and then) and chopped small earthworms, dependant on size.

Is it normal for females to birth over such a long period?

Thanks

Dave

BILLY JAMES

Reaction score
Yes this is normal. I have had females drop a few then hold the rest for a few more weeks.

wargar

Reaction score
Thanks, none now for the last 2 days so I'm hoping thats the lot.

Dave

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1