Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter is driving me mad

theblondie616

Reaction score
Hi guys. The hang of the back filter that came with my tank is going to make be kill someone. The vibrations are terrible. Are they all this loud? I have packed foam behind it, fiddled with the wires and just about done every thing I can think of to stop it. It stops for a wile but always creeps back. If I were to get an internal filter would I have to cycle my tank agen? I'm thinking of getting this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquarium-Al...O9PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356925316&sr=8-1
Thoughts? Any help would be great

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Have you taken it apart to see if any of the inside components have come loose or are missing? I had something similar happen with one of mine and it turned out all the racket was being caused by a silly little piece of plastic that was missing.

sugarkandii

Reaction score
From my experience with internal filters like that, I find them just as noisy as the standard off-the-back Aqua Flow filters. Usually they start off good, and then as time goes on they either deteriorate or loosen up, magnets become weaker, etc.. I feel your pain though, I have a sump for my 155 gallon that's on the outer wall of my room- so as quiet as my lotl tank is I always hear the humming hahah.

If you clean it out and put everything back together like Kaysie and Neeka suggested and it's still loud as hell- Eheim's internal filters are seriously wicked and I would 100% recommend them ; EHEIM miniUP . I have a Tetra Whisper for a 15-20 gallon on my tank that I also find to be incredibly quiet- but I know they're not the best quality for longevity and such- and that was a Walmart purchase for $20 CAD.

Depending on what kind of filter you have right now and what you end up getting- If you're going from a powerfilter to another power filter, you may have the privilege of having similar sponge sizes/cartridge sizes that you can simply move your media from your old filter into the new one. Your best bet if you end up going from a power filter to an internal like the one you posted, would be just hooking up the new filter with the old one also running in the tank to allow your previous filter to continue doing its job while allowing the new filter media to cycle alongside it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1