Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A question for fellow Kweichow keepers

A

andy

I'm about to set up a 48" aqua terrarium for my five Kweichowensis. They've been in isolation since i got them so i'm looking forward to setting this tank up!
I'd like to know from fellow keepers how they're keeping them ,eg, how deep is your water, how much water in relation to land do you have etc,
Any help would be appreciated
Cheers

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Mine are in mostly water. I use floating cork bark flats and turtle ramps with coconut huts and cork curls for land area. They like to swim a lot. My T. kweichowensis tank is a 40 gallon breeder with an internal filter. I have the water about 6 inches deep but will probably make it a little deeper and get rid of some of the "land" in the spring. I had better luck with the eggs that were laid in the water.

A

andy

Thanks Michael, what sort of temps are yours kept at? My original idea was to have about 50% land and 50% water, thinking maybe i should have a bigger water area now though.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I'm keeping them between 65F and 75F. I try to keep them on the cooler side. They bred when I bounced the temp up and down over a couple days last spring. I like lots of water in my set ups and tend to keep most things that way.

I bought a colony from a guy that had them all on land with a small water dish. They were doing great like that too.

F

foster

I keep mine in a 50/50 setup. Based on casual observation a few individuals seem to prefer staying in the water (and one large female seems to be mostly terrestrial). Most of the time however they move about between both areas.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!