Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A couple questions about shanjing

G

gail

The local pet store has 2 shanjing that I'm interested in getting but I'm worried about how to keep the temps low enough for them. Its been in the high 90's and will stay there for at least one more month. I don't have AC so what can I do to lower the temp? I thought about keeping them in the basement for a couple of months but I plan on setting up a 75 gallon terrarium for them sometime in the future and obviously I won't be able to move it around. Also what is a good relative humidity?, its about 30% in the house but I'd think they would need a little more moisture, at least in one end of the tank.

Oh, one more thing.What do you feed yours? I've been reading that they like waxworms best but aren't waxies high in fat? could I feed maggots or silkworms instead? I have a bearded dragon and raise silkworms and lobster roaches.

Thanks for any tips on keeping these guys.

G

gail

Also, what is a good price for shanjing, they are $20.00 here but I don't know if they are WC or CB, they do look good though, nice and plump with good color and skin.

G

gail

Thanks Ed, I called the petstore to see if they would hold the newts for me and they said to come and get 'em, I could pay later. So I have them set up in seperate 10 gallon quarentine tanks, one is eating and exploring already but the other one is staying hid.

They are both a good weight but one has some missing toes on a front foot, any ideas on what could have been the cause? I looked them both over good and there isn't any sores on them.

Should I be using any calcium or vitamin powder on their food? and if so how often? I'll probably be feeding mostly earthworms,maggots and possibly mealworms.

Thanks for the link, but I've alread read that page. I'm a little sponge and like lots of info
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1