Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice for morphed verrucosus

J

jarno

My first verrucosus larvae are just morphed. I can use all the advice you can give me. Which temperature is the best? What kind of food can I offer them on land? What is the best setup for them? Actually all the information about this subject is welcome.

A

andy

Hi Jarno, i keep my morphed verrucosus in a 50/50 aqua terrarium and feed them small earthworms small waxworms etc. I can't tell you the exact temp they're at but they're in an unheated room that is quite cool. As time goes on they prefer to stay in the water more and more and when they're in the water they'll eat bloodworm etc.
Hope this helps

J

jennifer

It depends on how large the morphs are, and which variety of verrucosus. Also, do you prefer them to be terrestrial or aquatic?

If you have only a few, I would recommend hand-feeding pieces of earthworm. They may need some "training" but they are usually not shy about eating.

I have heard that they grow faster and are more aquatic if they are kept warm. I find temperatures of 70-75F (21-23C), or even higher, are OK.

J

jarno

I have the dark variety. The morphs are between the 4 and 7 cm. At this moment they dislike the aquatic part of the terrarium. I have 8 metamorphosed tylo's and a 255 larvae which still have their gills (and it looks like they will stay in the water for a while).
The 2 largest of the juveniles on land have clearly an other structure of their skin. It is more rough, like their parents. The smaller ones on land have a smooth skin.

I think it will be easier to raise them aquatic. But is it smart to force them into the water?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!