Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Orphicus?

TJ

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this explains the traits that distinguish C. orphicus from other Cynops species, but I don't know French. So it may or may not contain something that hasn't been covered here already.

44203.jpg

I think it's from Les Salamandres de l'Ancien Monde (Robert Thorn and Jean Raffaelli -- 2001). Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong though because I don't have the whole book here, just the part on Cynops. Anything in there that's not covered in the original description by Risch?

(Message edited by TJ on September 30, 2005)

M

mark

My French isn't too good, in fact it's awful but I think it says something like...

"A cynops of average size which is characterized by the following features from the other species by a flattened head, with a canthus rostralis prominent. Skin very finely granulous. Tail dotted of small dark spots . Clear spots constantly present close to the lower base of each finger and toe. Ventral colouring formed of a clear band median (medium?) irregular and dark spots in lateral area"

I guessed some words so apologies to French speakers If there are mistakes.

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks. Mark. Well. I guess this is as good a chance as any to "bone up" on salamander osteology
biggrin.gif

Canthus rostralis and other such terms can be found here:

http://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/glossary.html

I had just been just wondering if Thorn and Raffaelli had independently acquired some information on C. orphicus or whether the entry in their book was just a translation of Risch's info, as Ralf's earlier message seemed to suggest. Seems to be a case of the latter, though I've yet to compare it carefully with Risch's original description.
smile3.gif

(Message edited by TJ on September 30, 2005)

N

nate

I've spoken with Jean Rafaelli about this in the past, and the info is a translation of Risch's abstract.

E

erik

Well just infertile eggs so far. I guess they will need some time to settle in and get used to the photoperiod and temperatures here. I am still not sure on the exact sex ratio, but at least I know I have one female.......

Hopefully I will get some more pics posted soon.....

E

erik

well they are doing good, but no eggs lately. Just the infertile eggs from a while back. I guess they need some more time to settle in and adjust to life on this side of the pond. I'll try to get some more pics up soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1