The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Old 23rd March 2003   #21
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

This C.e larvae is almost yellow and really stands out from the rest. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out... Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2003   #22
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What temp. do you keep your c.es at for breeding purposes?
Chris

Old 24th March 2003   #23
aaron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Mine are at 77-81 in the warmer months and cool to about 66 in the cooler season. They've bred for me the first full season I've had them.

~Aaron

Old 24th March 2003   #24
tj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sorry Chris but I haven't been monitoring or manipulating temps other than to ensure it doesn't get too cold in the winter or too warm in the summer. Mine were furiously laying eggs when the water temp was around 20C. I hear C.e lay eggs almost year-round in their native habitat, unlike C.p (temp. fluctuations in Okinawa/Amami are not nearly as drastic as they are up north in the main islands).

Here's another larvae I have great hopes for:

Old 24th March 2003   #25
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

And here's another shot of the larvae I posted a pic of before the last pic, with the picture contrast turned down a bit:

Old 31st March 2003   #26
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Here's my entry into the display of interestingly-colored C.e.p. This is a juvenile that morphed a month or two ago. Can't tell yet about the white spotting, but it has much more orange than usual.

Old 2nd April 2003   #27
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Fantastic Jen! I'd like to see a close-up shot of that one sometime, maybe when it gets a bit bigger! I haven't seen a one-month-old morph that colorful before. Do keep us posted! Click the image to open in full size.

Here's another hopeful of mine:

I don't think it's the same one as in any of those pics I posted before but I'm not entirely sure.

Old 3rd April 2003   #28
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I do wonder if there's any correlation between light-colored larvae and light-colored adults. I have certainly noticed that larval C.e.popei have a wide variation in coloration, from black to quite light. You can scientifically test this for us, Tim! You'd have to separate out a couple of light ones and raise them separately.

Old 3rd April 2003   #29
aaron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm not Tim, but maybe I'll raise some of mine separately. We shall see

~Aaron

Old 3rd April 2003   #30
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Yes, please do so Aaron. And remember, adding artificial coloring to their food doesn't count! Click the image to open in full size.

Jen...I'll separate what I have left and see what happens. But I'm running out of C.e.p larvae to "experiment" with as most have morphed already and the adults are not laying more. (I do have massive quantities of C.e.e larvae -- too bad C.e.e are not as colorful as C.e.p...)

I suppose it's genetic. I don't know to what extent food has anything to do with it (beta-carotene and all that stuff). I always start my hatchlings out on brine, then switch to tubifex, and finally a combination of tubifex and bloodworm, but mostly bloodworm.

If we humans can transform a wolf into a pug through selective breeding, dunno why we can't enlist Mother Nature's help in coming up with a hybrid strain of C.e.p, one that's covered head to tail in pure gold Click the image to open in full size.

By the way, the WC newt in the very first pic above was being sold as a "designer newt" Click the image to open in full size.

Old 4th April 2003   #31
aaron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

just a side not here: the wolf is not the same subspecies as dog. I believe Canis lupis is wolf, while Canis lupis faciata or something like that is the common dog.

~Aaron

Old 10th April 2003   #32
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

You can see some interesting color variations of adult C.e at this site maintained by Mr. Satoshi Sakuma.

The three C.e. in the bottom row are particularly interesting.

http://www.ikimono.net/sono21/index.html

Old 11th April 2003   #33
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Tim, are all those pictures of C.e. popei, or are some nominate C.e.e.? There is one that is totally black. Is it possible for popei to be completely black? I have a couple of juvenile popei that are, but I still have hope that they will get some spots in time.

Old 11th April 2003   #34
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Hi Jen, yes, that's a completely black C.e.p -- like one adult I have that I acquired it for that very reason. Mine was caught in the northern part of Okibnawa Island. and the ones it was with were also mostly black. Interesting, eh? I also have some over 1-year-old juvies like that and it remains to be seen whether they'll stay that way.

Old 11th April 2003   #35
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Here's the adult I mentioned:

Old 13th April 2003   #36
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Here's the same one as the larvae in the pics above...upon morphing. It's unusual to get coloration like this at this stage. Usually the colors emerge quite some time afterward. Will keep an eye on this one!

That should be "Okinawa Island" in my earlier post (not "Okibnawa").

Old 15th April 2003   #37
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

An interesting color variation can also be seen here:

http://www.rieo.net/amph/saramand/im...ps/siriken.htm

Tags
beauty, cepopei