Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Andersoni 160 in 120

RG

Reaction score
One meter sixty salamander in a one meter twenty aquarium.
1200x40x50 net water content approximately 170 Liter.
Standing on top of a black self-built base cabinet.
The lighting consists of three meters 24v LED strip 6000 K daylight 3300 lumen.
One meter 24v rgb LED strip with warm white LEDs lumen unknown.
Lighting is controlled by a variable timer with sun rise and fall.
In the winter 6 hours maximum lighting of daylight LEDs and warm white LEDs Red LEDs 15% and Blue LEDs 6%.
In summer, the maximum water temperature of 22 degrees Celsius is regulated by a cooler Blue Marine Chiller 400. The current winter temperature is 16.5 degrees Celsius.
Filtration from right to left horizontal flow no turbulence.
Aquarium Pump Tetratec EX800 Plus, External filter. Filter mass consists for a large part of baked clay balls.
Soil 3mm black gravel (Non-toxic Quarts fisch Frendly) and 30-60 mm black beach pebbles.
A large piece of aquarium wood
No houses or tubes as a shelter for salamanders.
About seven different water plants and algae.
Thousands of small aquatic animals presumably Peracantha truncata , Cyclops and such. Slags most of which are consumed so that not many snails can be seen.
Seven two year old adult Andersoni's 2.5.0. with a total length of 160 centimeters.
The filter is cleaned once a year during commissioning of the cooler.
I clean the hoses and pipes of the filtration system twice a year for a better flow rate.
Every week the gravel is cleaned as much as possible with a suction pipe.
Every week a water change of about 40 - 50 liters with water from the tap Ph 7, Gh 7.
Water values are not measured, completely unnecessarily if everything goes well.
Every week, the plants are fertilized with 10 ml aquarium plant fertilizer.
A few rusting nails for the necessary iron.
The animals receive only living food or fresh frozen food. Pallets and blood worms (red mosquito larvae) are not fed to them.
All food with an exception for small fish is offered with a food stick to prevent unnecessary gravel eating.
The Andersoni have never been ill. Sometimes they refuse to eat especially the males. They can also spit out the foot. This happens sometimes when they have swallowed a piece of moss with the food or for another unclear cause. These remains can often be found in the tank within 12 to 24 hours. At the next feeding they just eat again and everything is fine again. Sometimes on rare occasions they rinse their stomach, this causes a large white cloud in the water.
This setup has been going on for more than two years now without any disappointments except that they have not yet begun to breed.

RG

Reaction score
Photo of the aquarium

Attachments

• SAM_2117.jpg
    SAM_2117.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 2,005

RG

Reaction score
I have some pictures here for clarification regarding the materials I use.

Beach pebbles.jpgBlack 3 mm gravel fish friendly non-toxic.jpg

Clay balls.jpgFour sizes of clay balls for the different layers in the filter.jpg

Sieve for small clay balls made from a washing net.jpg

Spike flattened but still sharp enough to pin worms.jpgFood stick made of bamboo satay sticks.jpgConnection of sticks.jpg[

RG

Reaction score
LED light exposure times

LED light exposure times.jpg
Here is a schematic of the LED light exposure times. I think about it to turn off the blue LED. The green algae on the wood have been growing very enthusiastic lately, now also at other places in the aquarium. I suspect that the blue light is the cause of this. The algae have mainly been shown on the top piece of wood for that time.

02-04-2016 when they were small.jpgSAM_2216.jpg
02-04-2016 when they were small

RG

Reaction score
Aquarium maintenance

Suction tube with hose for gravel cleaning.jpg
Suction tube with hose for gravel cleaning

Before cleaning.jpg
Before cleaning,
changing the water.jpg
Changing the water,
After cleaning.jpg
After cleaning

SAM_2213.jpgSAM_2214.jpgSAM_2215.jpg
Ready for the next week.

RG

Reaction score
Fingers crossed

Fingers crossed
Two weeks ago I found a few sperm packages in the tank, watched for a few days for eggs, but everything stayed calm. With axolotls I have the experience that after the mating the next days eggs are laid. Is this different with the andersoni? Two days ago about five hundred eggs were laid. Now I have not seen anything of sperm in recent weeks, from there comes my doubt if it is okay with these eggs. It looked like they were not fertilized. Brown on top of the egg and white on the bottom.
If these eggs are not fertilized, I have a problem.
They are stuck everywhere on the plants. In the case of unfertilized eggs, water quality will deteriorate very quickly. A cleaning of the tank will damage all plants and possibly half of them must be thrown away.
Oxygen will become a problem at a halved plant mass and an air stone must be used and I am not in favor of this.
But this afternoon I discovered that the eggs have turned brown, is this normal? This gives some hope for a good result. There are four more ladies who are also fat from eggs.
I'll keep you informed.

Attachments

• SAM_2271.jpg
    SAM_2271.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 512

RG

Reaction score
What I like about beach pebbles.

What I like about beach pebbles.
Different algae grow easily on these stones which give them different colors. As an example, dark green in winter and light green in spring. brown algae also give a nice color shade. The aquarium floor gets a natural look. A beautiful contrast is obtained by a combination with coated black gravel. This will not get dirty and will remain beautifully shiny black.

Attachments

• SAM_2251.jpg
    SAM_2251.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 510
  • SAM_2249.jpg
    SAM_2249.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 521
  • SAM_2248.jpg
    SAM_2248.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 488

supergrappler

Reaction score
It's a little early to tell, but from what I am seeing and from what you are describing they are fertile. If so congratulations! :happy:

RG

Reaction score
Eggs develop rapidly

Eggs develop rapidly
I am very happy that the eggs are developing. This morning about two hundred eggs removed from the aquarium. Eggs are accommodated in a breeding tank. This day also checked with a scoop net if there is enough food in the ditch near my house for the growing up of salamander larvae.
It looks like the first beginning is without problems.

Attachments

• SAM_2277.JPG
    SAM_2277.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 508
  • SAM_2278.jpg
    SAM_2278.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 536

RG

Reaction score
On the edge.

On the edge.
I started this story because I know that the ratio of animals to water is on the risky side. This has proven itself in recent weeks. After the beautiful event of eggs, a lot of things happen with the water quality. The eggs that were left behind in the aquarium had a great influence on the quality. After a few days I noticed that the Andersoni's take more air at the water surface than normal. I then decided to remove as many visible (50) eggs as possible. After a day, everything seemed to be normal. Due to weather conditions, the temperature outside in a few days increased from 8 degrees to 18 degrees Celsius. The aquarium water temperature rose in 2 days from 18 to 21.5 degrees. This caused massive hatching of the remaining eggs. The water turned slightly milky. As far as possible, all empty eggs removed. These could almost only be found by using a strong flashlight. I changed 50% water that evening. The water smelled sour. The next morning it was wrong again. A quick change of 30 liters of water. At the end of the day looking for more hidden empty eggs. It is an almost impossible task to find everything.
I think there were more eggs in the aquarium than in the nursery box.
Have thought for a moment to clean the filter. But this was not necessary after the most was removed the water became clear again. Now until today, empty eggs still appear, rolling over the bottom.
It may be time to take one out. At the last measurement, the largest animal had grown 1 cm to 25 cm. When all the animals have grown 1 cm, another 7 cm of salamander is added.
It seems wise to immediately remove (large numbers of) eggs from the aquarium.
I have made a tool that I can use to suck eggs from the aquarium without damaging the plants. The eggs will go broke, of course.

Attachments

• SAM_2294.jpg
    SAM_2294.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 499
  • SAM_2295.jpg
    SAM_2295.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 482

Gradje1

Reaction score
Too bad the water quality is decreasing so much because of the unfertilized eggs. Do you have snails in your aquarium? Snails can distinquish living and dead eggs and only eat the dead ones, same goes for plants (and even animals!).

As always, lovely pics!

RG

Reaction score
Update andersoni larvae.

Update andersoni larvae.
It goes well with most of the andersoni little ones. In week 15 they came out of the egg the length today varied between 25 mm and 40 mm.
It is estimated that about 200-230 animals remained until now.
Approximately 5 animals die every day (+/- 50 to date). The cause of this is a metabolic problem. This seems to occur with axos and andersoni that lay eggs for the first time. (source German axolotol forum). It concerns as far as I can judge animals with insufficiently developed forelegs. The membrane does not function properly because of this they swell up. This deviation becomes visible after approximately 2 weeks. If you think that there are no more new ones, you will see new victims the next day. It seems that things are starting to get better now. Most of them look sturdy with good legs. I made a photo of two animals to show the difference. Number 001 is the healthy animal

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 531
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 518
  • 002-1.jpg
    002-1.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 503

RG

Reaction score
Daphnia in abundance.

At the moment it is no problem to get food for the young andersoni. Twice a day I feed them a fair amount of Daphnia early in the morning and late in the afternoon. The filter is also cleaned twice a day because a considerable amount of the daphina is sucked into the filter. I use a 320 l / h pump for about 45 liters of water to keep it clean.
Like every year the Daphnia disappear in a few days’ time. This usually happens in late May when the temperature rises. Then there is nothing to catch close to home until winter / early spring. If this happens, they will hopefully be big enough to switch to a different food source.

Attachments

• Daphnia.jpg
    Daphnia.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 484
  • Daphnia_2.jpg
    Daphnia_2.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 509
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 501
  • SAM_2319.jpg
    SAM_2319.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 498
  • SAM_2325.jpg
    SAM_2325.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 484

RG

Reaction score
Counting seems difficult

This week I started a new plastic container to distribute the animals.
It was necessary because the amount of poop heavily loaded the water and filter.
I wanted to divide them into two groups of about 100 animals. I caught 100 of them, but this did not look like half of the total, and I added 20 more. This is also the absolute number that I find acceptable with their current size. Photos taken animals transferred. If I compare the two plastic containers with each other, the largest number of animals is still in the oldest plastic bin. Possibly 200 pieces or more. There are many more than I thought (250 eggs). 120 + 80 died +200 makes 400. Do I need a new reading glasses ?. I must now solve the problem of too many animals.

Attachments

• New plastic container.jpg
    New plastic container.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 485
  • 120 andersoni.jpg
    120 andersoni.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 529

RG

Reaction score
They grow well

They are between 50mm and 70mm in size. Animal on photo is 60mm

Attachments

• SAM_2384.JPG
    SAM_2384.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 471

supergrappler

Reaction score
Beautiful babies! They are stunning. I am sure you will have no problem finding homes for them.

RG

Reaction score
Beautiful babies! They are stunning. I am sure you will have no problem finding homes for them.

I do not know if there is much interest in this type of salamander today. I know that sometimes a considerable amount of money is asked. Whether some of these animals go to a new owner remains to be seen. The expected and unforeseen problems with a large density of animals have not been missed, I will come back to this later. At this moment 28-05-2018 the andersoni are between 70mm and 100mm..

Attachments

• andersoni 1.jpg
    andersoni 1.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 504
  • andersoni 2.jpg
    andersoni 2.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 488
  • andersoni 3.jpg
    andersoni 3.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 490
  • andersoni 4 _ 90mm.jpg
    andersoni 4 _ 90mm.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 493
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1