Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fish roe for feeding A. Maculatum larvae

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I think everyone will find this interesting. I caught 3 flathead catfish last night. Small ones 5,6, and 8 pounders. While cleaning 2 of them I found them to be full of eggs. One had pretty large eggs a 1/3 of a salmon egg in size while the other one had very tiny eggs. So I took some of the tiny eggs and put them in with my larvae. And what did I see? Mac larvae going nuts and gulping them down very quickly. I have fed the larger eggs to my Axies, Paddletail, and Notophthalmus newts. Even my Blue Tongue skinks are crazy for them.

Melmo

Reaction score
Re: Feeding A. Maculatum larvae

Hah! That's awesome Bill. This would be a cool thing to try out. Thanks for sharing.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

Not to steal your thunder but the exact same scenario has been posted before, though I don't think it was catfish. Still, nice to know.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score

You could culture your own eggs very easily. You just breed your own fish. Convict Cichlids are easy they lay their eggs on black slate that you could then transfer into your newt or larvae tanks. Im sure these energy packed eggs would be good for growth and conditioning. And you could do it in a 10 gallon tank. I know a small 2 inch felmale would give u about 50 -150 eggs. breeding them is a no brainer just put them in and feed them some fish flakes. They do the rest.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!