Some advice.

CherryBlossom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there :) I am new to this site and also to the world of amphibians. I have recently fallen in love and housed two male paddletail newts. There were both in the same aquarium, however the slightly larger of the 2 became very territorial in a matter of days and then began snapping at the smaller newt. He would actually follow the smaller one around and chomp on him. It was then decided that I should separate them into their own aquariums.

They now have their own 2 foot aquariums...the bigger of the 2 has taken to his own space fantastically and is swimming around and playing etc. The smaller of the 2 however does not seem as happy. He just seems to sit in the corner or the aquarium all day and night. I am wondering if something is wrong with him? Or if he will just take time to adjust? He doesn't seem interested in eating etc. I currently have 2 hidey holes for him to hide in etc but I am considering buying some more....perhaps hes just a very shy and timid newt?

I have checked him for any wounds etc after the snapping but can see nothing. I am worried in-case he is not happy or not very well though.

Can anyone offer and advice etc to me? As I am at a loss and would be devastated if he didn't over come this. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Well, the thing is that these animals are highly territorial, so spending most of the time guarding the same spot sounds actually rather normal. However, bare in mind that it´s not just the agression from the bigger newt it has to recover from, it´s also the long, traumatic and neglectful importation from China. The poor thing has survived it all (many don´t) and now needs to recover. In order to do that, it needs excellent conditions, so make sure to provide the best you can (if you post pictures of the tanks we could help in case there´s something that needs changing).

Also, provide a good diet and disturb as little as possible.

In the future, before you acquire a new species, i highly recommend that you get very well informed in advance. It´s the only way to avoid basic problems. If you hadn´t witnessed agression( you could have easily missed it) and separated them, the big one could have certainly killed the smaller one.

Ok thank you very much for this advice.

I have a couple of photos on my profile of the aquariums. I have been looking into plants for them and have had some excellent advice about which are best to use... I plan on getting them some hornwort and anacharis this week.

Hi,

I would suggest replacing the gravel substrate with sand or larger stones such a river rocks. Gravel can be ingested accidentally causing impaction, which is fatal. Live plants are definitely a good plan, so glad to hear that you are planning on introducing some soon! I see that you do have some hiding places in your current set up, but you could always introduce some more hides (such a large stones, driftwood, etc).

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much :) for replying.

I went and got some live plants for them tonight (I went straight form work)...Also some more hiding places. He seems to be exploring the tank slowly now.

I have some bog wood that has been soaking for a few days now to try and reduce the amount of orange bleed that it is giving out. I have been changing the water daily to see if it is beginning to lighten off. In a week or so time, once I see that it has settled down, I will split the bogwood between the 2 aquariums too.

I am going to look into some large stones for them too. Are there any in particular that I should avoid completely?

Thanks so much again for replying.

Claire xxx

Well this morning Im pleased to say hes now swimming around his aquarium and having fun swimming in and out of the plants. He's even eaten some bloodworm. Thanks to everyone for their advice and help!

Claire xxx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back