Old newts

lims

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sam
I have had my P. Hongkongensis for 3-4 years now, sold as a sexed pair. They have never bred (although I think i probably need to get them colder for longer first). Can they get to a certain age where they will no longer breed?

Adults breed till death. Always read that these animals do not suffer from reproductory disfunctions. You cant come with such excuse for your animals not to breed. I got mine last winter from another keeper and breed them immediately after. You just need to give all the correct conditions. The rest, they will do for themselves. another option is that you may ready not have a pair.
Hope it helps!

Jorge

It's also doubtful that your animals are all that old. A friend of mine has a somewhat geriatric Cynops ensicauda which is probably over 30 years of age, and it seems that many newts can live lives measured in decades.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back