Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What Pachytriton is this?

joonas

Reaction score
There are 4 pictures of one Pachytriton individual at www.sammakkolampi.net/pachytriton. Pictures have been taken at different times and at different lightning contitions. But they all portray same individual. Animal is bought from a pet shop in Finland.

My question is: what species / type of Pachytriton is this?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m pretty sure it´s a Pachytriton labiatus. It looks like a rather normal labiatus except it lacks the dorsal red marks (which is not uncommon).
The taxonomy of this genus is a mess though, and there are many varieties yet to be formaly named.....perhaps someone with more knowledge with this genus can chime in and give you a better answer.

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Doh...i missed the other three photos....being sleep deprived is not good...
The spotting certainly looks too heavy for a normal labiatus..it´s looks much more brevipes like.
Also, the bulging back part of the mandibles looks brevipes.
So, in short, i changed my mind xDDD I think Justin may be right.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Might as well add my 2 cents, regardless of the date.
Pachytriton granulosus, which includes all the slender specimens from south of Shanghai, and also includes most of what's called "P.labiatus" as well as sp. A and sp. B.

Yahilles

Reaction score
Does not look like labiatus (too slender/thin and with spots) - i'd also go for "granulosus" but i'm not convinced to this species account (as the animal called Pingia granulosa was described on the base of juvenile labiatus), i use that name for all these Pachytriton sp. undescribed - A, B and rest.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!