froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Chris Michaels
This paper:

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie (Nishikawa et al, 2011) reviews Pachytriton labiatus, finding lecto/paralecto-types to be synonymous with Paramesotriton ermizhaoi. They then allocate the Northeastern populations of Pachytriton 'labiatus' as P. granulosus, while naming the other population P. inexpectatus.

There is a lso a good (and short) review of the recent taxonomic changes:

"Pachytriton labiatus (Unterstein, 1930) is one of the most popular species among Chinese salamandrids, because it has been traded as pets to many countries. Although morphological variation and breeding behavior in captivity of the species have been reported (e.g., Thiesmeier and Hornberg, 1997; Scholtz, 1998; Sparreboom and Thiesmeier, 1998), its biology in natural habitats is still poorly known.

Unterstein (1930) described this species on the basis of one male and three females from “Yaoshan, Kwangsi, China” (Mt. Dayao, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China). All of the type specimens are stored in the Museum of Natural History, Humboldt University Berlin (ZMB). Unterstein (1930) provided measurement data on a subadult (halbwüchsiges) specimen, but did not indicate the register number of the specimen. Much later, Bauer et al. (1993) examined the syntypes and designated the lectotype and paralectotypes. However, no one has compared these type specimens with topotypic specimens to date.

Recently, Wu et al. (2010) reported that the newt then called Pac. “labiatus” is morphologically separated into two geographically isolated groups, “northeastern P. labiatus” (hereafter, NE group) and “southwestern P. labiatus” (SW group), which are differentiated by a large genetic distance (calculated from mitochondrial and nuclear genes) comparable to interspecific levels in Pachytriton and other newt genera. Wu et al. (2010), thus concluded that the two groups are sufficiently differentiated to be treated as different species, and proposed to restrict Pac. labiatus sensu stricto to the SW group, as the type locality of the species is included in the area of distribution of the SW group.

For the NE group of Pac. “labiatus” sensu Wu et al. (2010), the name Pac. granulosus Chang, 1933 had been available (for taxonomic history of Pac. granulosus, see Nishikawa et al., 2009). However, Hou et al. (2009) revived the name as different genus Pingia granulosa. They considered that Pin. granulosa is a terrestrial newt, which is different from the sympatric and aquatic Pac. “labiatus”. However, Nishikawa et al. (2009) soon showed that Pin. granulosa is the immature terrestrial morph of Pac. granulosus, which becomes aquatic after maturation. Wu et al. (2010) seems to have followed Hou et al. (2009) and considered that the NE group of Pac. “labiatus” had no available name. They, thus, tentatively retained the name Pac. labiatus for the NE group, noting that the group was so differentiated in body coloration and genetic distance as to be separated into different taxa. However, as pointed out by Nishikawa et al. (2009), the NE group should be treated as Pac. granulosus."

However, there are still no genetics, so I'm not sure how long this change will last!

The brief notes on natural History are also quite interesting:

"Natural history
The adults are nocturnal and usually found in montane streams. Some adults are found in very steep and shallow branch streams about 90 m from the main stream. Adults prey under the water. Their stomach contents include aquatic insect larvae such as Diptera, Ephemeroptera, Plecoptera, and Trichoptera, as well as Annelida (earthworm) and Decapoda (fresh water crab). They also predate terrestrial animals including larval Hymenoptera (sawfly), probably fallen down from vegetation near the stream. Breeding ecology and life history in nature are poorly known. Because females with ripe eggs were collected in May and June, breeding seems to occur in early summer. Some adults of both sexes seem to be bitten by competitive individuals. Small juveniles are rarely found in the stream, and are probably terrestrial."

C

Last edited:
I made these arguments a few months ago in these fora. Wu et all HAVE provided genetic information. Genetics, both nuclear and mitochondrial, were one of the major factors which showed that Pachytriton labiatus was the most basal species while, Pachytriton granulosus was sister to P.brevipes and not conspecific with P.labiatus.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...achytriton-labiatus-spermataphore-pickup.html

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...s-pachytriton/70543-pachytriton-brevipes.html

I'll have to look into the Pachytriton labiatus-inexpectatus / Paramesotriton labiatus-ermizhaoi issue. Wu et al used P.labiatus specimens from the type locality for both genetic and morphological studies, so we know that this species DOES occur there. While I absolutely agree that if the name-bearing types have an earlier name [in this case, apparently Paramesotriton ermizhaoi was previously named as Pachytriton labiatus], it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to shuffle the names like this when both taxa have rather solid identities. The issue here is the identity of lecto- and paralectotypes. My question would be, what species did the description apply to, and what species were among the syntypes? If there is an actual Pachytriton among the syntypes, then selecting a new lectotype would make more sense from a perspective of nomenclatural stability. That's somewhat contrary to the purpose of a lectotype in the first place, but it's not like an adult of the one species bears any resemblance to an adult of the other!

Thanks for the update - I'll have to see if I can download it today.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back