Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Paramesotriton c. in fridge

anothernewtfan

Reaction score
Bought two a few weeks ago, basically "rescued" from a pet store.

I noticed about a week ago that his mouth, mostly it was the front of the lower jaw, just didn't look right to me. This got a little worse day by day. I would describe it as looking as though it was just kind of sloughing/rotting away. So I decided to put him in a rubberrmaid dish I use for random newt ops, hehe with a section of an artificial plant in there, and enough water to cover the newt, covered it with aluminum foil and put it in the fridge. I also raised the temp in the fridge, as it might have been a little too cold the way it was.

This is the first time I have ever refrigerated a newt, but after doing a little research, it seemed the appropriate way to address this issue. The newt seems to be fine. Although it's been less than 24 hours it looks a little better. Hopefully that is not just wishful thinking.

Two quick questions. How long should it remain in the fridge? AND Should I be worried about changing the water in the bowl?

Now I realize the newt probably had this injury at the pet store, and I might have noticed it earlier if I checked. I probably still would have bought the newt, but would have been more careful with the supplies (siphon, baster, tweezers) I dunked into their tank. This could turn into a pet shop horror story if it spreads to other tanks in my collection.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
While I've never fridged Paramesotrition, I suspect you can treat them similarly to axolotls, given that they also come from cold waters. I don't think there's really a time limit on fridging. With axolotls, we usually recommend a couple of days to weeks, depending on what you're treating for, but some people have kept their axolotls in the fridge for months during the hot summer.

You will need to change the water in the bowl. Depending on how much water you have in the bowl, you'll need to change it daily or every other day. It's absolutely imperative that you use water that is the same temperature, so store your water for changes in the fridge as well.

anothernewtfan

Reaction score
Thanks Kaysie.
It was obvious tonight that I needed to suck out some waste from the bowl. Now I have some water chilling in the fridge as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1