Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Winter for a toad...

lims

Reaction score
I keep my Bufo bufo in the shed in a large box with soil and leaves.
I hand feed him earth worms every few days, he eats less now its got colder.
I would like to keep him in my bedroom so feeding and interacting is easier.
I am inclined to keep him in the shed where it is more of a natural cold winter climate.
What are peoples thoughts on keeping him warmer indoors over winter..?

Attachments

• crop toad better.jpg
    crop toad better.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 648
  • DSC_0247.jpg
    DSC_0247.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 475

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Well, he'll grow more and faster if he's up during the winter. I took a baby Bufo Bufo/Fowleri Hybrid (I THINK its a hybrid, I cant tell which it is for sure) inside since he was still not tunneled in the "Toad House" outside. Its essentially a big hole next to our house where they've lived for a LONG time. He was still dragging himself along and not burrowed a day or two before/after a snow storm. I can't remember which. So I brought him in and he's quite gluttonous.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1