Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Oak Toads

felix453

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these little guys? It would be cool to have a 20 gallon aquarium with these guys in it!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I suggest you head over to John's other site, FrogForum with this question. While there is some overlap between members, the bulk of the "other" amphibian geeks...errm.... enthusiasts are there.;)

I will tell you that in my experience, toads are toads are toads. They either do exceedingly well in captivity or they do not. Now, that is a wide generalization, but FrogForum will fix you up right.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Sand and pine needles for a substrate with a shallow water bowl then keep them like a toad. It's all I know.

felix453

Reaction score
Should I mix eco-earth with sand? Would that be a good consistency?

mshine1217

Reaction score
Their habitat varies widely. Abundant especially in scrub oak forests where soil is sandy and therefore easy to burrow into. If forest dwellers, they are nocturnal and burrow into the soil in daytime. If living near human habitats, like many around here, I find them seeking daylight shelter in thick high weed brush against outbuildings that retain some humidty (a concrete building tends to hold water within its' brick, as example) or under large coral stone set in damp soil. If you have a quiet garden, they'll take up residence there as well, helping to hold down harmful insect populations.

Being solitary, each toad needs to be able to set up his own territory, and feel secure in that space. I give them a substrate of rinsed playsand mixed with organic peatmoss, topped with smooth but unpolished riverstone. This enables them even more security, as they are strong enough to move any stones that is in their way and dig in for their daily sleep. I still supply many rocky caves to hide in, as many will dig their burrow inside and under these caves. The tank is also false bottomed, because the humidity I supply them with is between 30% and 50%, and misting the large tank lightly each day and keeping their live plants watered demands this.
Don't mist the toads, they hate it! Also, covering three of the outer sides of the tank with construction paper will make them feel more secure.

Make sure they have a large pool to soak in. My pools are 2" deep and 10" in diameter, with smooth, unpolished riverstone strewn across the bottoms to help them climb in and out. You can also provide them with a waterfall if you've got the money and room in the tank to do so. They love lounging in them, even in daytime.
Do not handle this anuran unless absolutely necessary.

Feed them every evening, varying their diet with young soft crickets, (they haven't yet developed their wings) small redworms, white grubs and soft-bodied white or brown caterpillars. My toads are a median size of 3". Each 3" toad consumes about 4 to 7 insects nightly.

Have fun!

(Oh by the way... I'm also one of those "amphibian 'enthusiasts" from the other site. :happy:

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Should I mix eco-earth with sand? Would that be a good consistency?

I would go with a 40/60 mix. 60 being sand. Mix in some pine needles and put a thin layer on top. A couple coconut huts would be great for hides for them.

felix453

Reaction score
I was thinking about putting 4 or 5 in a 10 gallon aquarium but if they're territorial then I guess that's not a good idea.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Wow, those are oak toads at those sizes? To my knowledge, they don't get larger than 4 cm, which isn't quite 2 inches.

Three inch Oak toads would be some big old females for sure. If they were over 3 I bet they are Fowler toads instead of Oak toads. Keep them the same way though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!