Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Axolotl HUGE LUMP! CYST/TUMOUR??

Cfigliola

Reaction score
Hi all

I need some help

Our male axolotl appeared with this lump a few weeks ago
Back then it was much smaller, we thought he'd just charged at something and banged himself but now its blown up.
WE did treat it with salt baths which helped but all of a sudden its got much bigger...
He's still eating well and moving about okay, this huge lump looks awful though, could it be cancerous?

Really worried about him, what can we do?

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3049.JPG
    IMG_3049.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 2,616
  • IMG_3050.JPG
    IMG_3050.JPG
    321 KB · Views: 1,269

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Most vets will consult other vets about 'problems'. I suspect it may be an abscess, if so it may need lancing by a vet and antibiotics for a period of time to clear the infection. If it isn't an abscess the vet could take a biopsy or sample of the lump to see what it consists of. If your local vet is unable or unprepared to treat this, they will be able to give you the number of someone who can. There is a practice in Hatfield that have treated axolotl in the past for similar problems.

EmbryH

Reaction score
I second the advice to see a vet. Even if we could tell you exactly what was wrong with your guy, you'd need to seek professional help to have it treated.

Also, remember that salt baths are usually only appropriate in the case of fungal infections. Don't treat your axolotl unless you know the treatment is appropriate for the ailment, or else you could accidentally cause more damage.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!