Spots on Whites Tree Frog

sherie

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all!
I recently took in a WTF, 3 year old female, and have noticed these spots coming and going in various areas on her body. She had some when I first got her and, when she turns green they aren't visible, but they seem to be multiplying. I thought that they were a coloration that was coming and going due to her mood and such however, I have had a couple people suggest that it may be fungus. The spots are bright green and smooth. They aren't fuzzy or raised. While she hasn't eaten in a few days she did take down a couple of hornworms without issue last week.

I have been keeping her in an Exoterra 18x18x24. Basking temp was set on a thermostat for 82 degrees during the day and then drops to room temp over night. Humidity ranges between 35-60% depending on the misting cycle. The unit is misted twice a day - once at 9pm and again at 7am. There is a small computer fan running for airflow. The unit is bio-active with live plants. Her water dish is changed daily with tap water that is dechlorinated using Reptisafe. Feeders are gutloaded and dusted with Repashy Calcium Plus . Lights and heat are on a 12 hour cycle.

Here are some photos for reference. These have been taken over the last 2 weeks, since coming into my care. You can see how the numbers come and go.

I have moved her into a sterile unit with temps at 84 degrees and humidity stable at 30%. I have been giving her a soak in diluted Melafix as suggested by those who think she has a fungus.

I would like to know what everyone thinks about the spots and treatment. It has been suggested that the spots may simply be her coloration changes.

Attachments

• IMG_7508.jpg
    IMG_7508.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 4,081
  • IMG_7450.jpg
    IMG_7450.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 4,641
  • IMG_7306.jpg
    IMG_7306.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 7,258
Hello there!
I have a 6 year old whites tree frog and I took her to a vet when I first got her for the same thing. The vet told me it was just a natural change in her colors and nothing to worry about. She used to get them frequently and they would go away after a while, now that shes older she doesnt get them so much anymore, but I still see them once in a while. If they are a type of fungal or bacterial infection they havent affected her health or appetite all this time. I am by no means an expert and the vet I took her to takes care of "exotics" but not reptiles and amphibians specifically. I would wait and see if somebody with more experience comments for a second opinion. It would be nice to know if maybe I should be doing something more for mine or not too.

I could be wrong, but I think that's natural, I've seen a lot of photos with White's tree-frogs with similar colors, and it seems to be something that can come and go when they change color, similar to how some American green tree-frogs I've seen that have yellow flecks on them :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back