Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Housing Taricha Torosa eggs/larvae outdoors?

Jorjor

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I came across a pretty rare opportunity. I saw some captive bred taricha torosa eggs for sale recently and jumped at the opportunity to get some. I should have them in a couple days.

Just curious... Can the eggs/larvae be housed in tubs outside in a shaded area? I already live in SoCal. I come across them on hikes just a few miles north of me all the time. I'm wondering if keeping them outside would get them closer to their desired temps.

Thanks in advance! And sorry for the possibly stupid question :bowl:

ndbug

Reaction score
I am not an expert on housing newts outside but if there native to you area it shouldn't be a problem although someone else would have to tell you how to setup and enclosure for them. I did want to say these are one awesome newt species I first ever saw these as a kid in the movie Matilda! Good luck!

generaltoaster

Reaction score
My thought is that so long as it doesn't drop too far below freezing where you live, you should be okay. During winter, it is hard to keep eggs or larvae inside because most people keep their heaters on to a point where its much warmer than it would be outside.
Just be sure the lid is very secure so that no urban invaders can get in for a snack!

supergrappler

Reaction score
Outdoor enclosure should work but it kind of depends on what part of Southern Cal you are at. Like if you are up in Big Bear it wouldn't be an issue. But if you are in Barstow or something it would be way too hot.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another issue is heavy rain. I know someone who was keeping larvae outdoors, but lost them when there was a heavy rain that caused the containers to overflow.

Keeping them outdoors has some advantages (like free live food), but also some added risks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!