Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange Question

shop worn angel

Reaction score
I have found myself in an unfortunate situation...The apartment building next door is battling a war with bedbugs at the moment, and I've just begun to research preventative measures for my own apartment. I have 6 Chinese Firebelly newts; 2 adult ones and 4 babies ( although the babies are not really all that young anymore...they're now a whole year old!!!) All are healthy and I love them very, very much. I'm not inclined to use chemicals around this place because of how that might affect them, although Pyro Dust was recommended to me. Another thing that I have been researching is Diatomaceous Earth, which is natural. Can this potentially be harmful to my newts, too? I don't want to do anything at all that would harm them.

Thanks for your help! Any advice would be appreciated.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that bed bugs are spread by people themselves (on clothing and such), not by the bugs walking from one house to another. So if there is any physical separation between you and the other building, you may not need any chemical help. I've always avoided using any kind of insect sprays indoors due to possible effects on amphibians. Sorry, I don't have any info beyond that. Good luck!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
From what I can gather DE works by puncturing the bugs exoskeleton, messing up their organs somehow, and then causing death by dehydration. Now how that works I have no clue but if it causes dehydration in bugs I would imagine it would have the same effect on amphibians. I may be wrong in assuming this but I wouldn't risk it.

shop worn angel

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses! Unfortunately, bed bugs do in fact walk from one suite to another, which is why they are such a problem. It's not a good situation at all. I am not entirely sure what to do about this situation...I, too, am not inclined to risk the health of my pets, but at the same time, this is a bad situation all around...people often have to get rid of all of their furniture, etc... when this happens, which is why I'm inclined to take preventative measures.

shop worn angel

Reaction score
Oh! One more thing! The Diatomaceous Earth would just be applied in a dust form along the baseboards ( I could even keep it to a minimum in my bedroom, perhaps...my pets are in the living room..and cover the tank lids while applying it). I just worry about the possibility of particles ending up in the water, although if I kept it to just the bedroom, maybe this would prevent that from happening? I've read that after the application of this stuff, it's not harmful as long as the particles aren't disturbed...that the application of it is the potentially harmful part of it. I feel like I'm in a tough situation. There's a particular area of the city here that has a real problem with these stubborn pests, and I just don't want to be dealing with them myself. At the same time, I don't want to endanger my newt family. :confused:

Gingrich

Reaction score
It should be safe. Diatomaceous Earth is used in aquarium, pool, and other filters. As an insecticide, it is only supposed works by absorbing lipids away from exoskeletons causing the insects to dehydrate. It's also used in planting soils, especially for bonsais. I think it is a good idea to cover up the tank before applying it. The only danger is the silica dust but it shouldn't get in if you cover up the tank. I would use it sparingly, but as long as you don't purposely put it into the tank, I don't think it will do any harm.

spoons

Reaction score
my dog recently brought fleas into my bedroom where my frog collection is i opened out some black bin bags so they were large enough to cover the tank in one unbroken waterproof piece and gaffer taped two layers of this around the tanks in an airtight seal just to be safe, then i sprayed the hell out of the little swines that had been greedily drinking upon my blood, your newts dont use up a lot of oxygen with their tiny little breaths , so as long as you let the stuff settle before you take off the covers , you should be fine , i left mine a good 12 hours to be safe, all of my large collection were fine , its unfortunate that you have to do this but sometimes its the only thing you can do ,

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Or if you had somewhere you could take them for a week, you could relocate them temporarily, and spray down everything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!