Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange behavior

Ktlagges

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever caught their Axolotl sleeping sideways?

Last night I looked through the side hole in one of their hides and came face to face with Guy's belly. He was almost completely tilted sideways except for his head. I was terrified that he died in his hide.

But I when I went to siphon up their waste, he righted himself and came to investigate...
Anyone else ever see this kind of behavior?

optimist

Reaction score
I regularly spot mine asleep vertically (head up or down, doesn't seem to matter :happy:). Inclined to think most odd behaviour is completely normal for them. :happy:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ktlaggs,

As long as there are no other signs of illness and your axie can right itself up, then there is no cause for concern. Axies are funny little things and they can sure sleep in funny ways.

Cheers.

kira

Reaction score
Hmmmm, how odd! I have seen my new axie, Jester, curled up in a tight corner of my tank, in a vertical position, but he was all bent and twisted up at the same time.:eek:

Yes, they can be a little strange sometimes, but can't we all!;)

mitchell101

Reaction score
I often see my axolotls sleeping on their sides or vertically and it doesn't seem to matter
as long as they aren't always like that and they can put themselves but upright.
I think sometimes it may be caused by a gas bubble in the axolotls stomach which they either burp or fart out. It may just be they like doing it or some other reason.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!