in

S

sarah

Although it may sound ignorant, I went into a flower store about a year ago and saw 4 tiny little salamanders, maybe as big as my finger swimming in the water. the lady in the store said she 'hated them and wanted them to die' and that they were gross, and she wasn't feeding them. I was horrified, so I bought one, brought it home, felt SO badly about the others that I went and got them too. They cost me 7 dollars Canadian each.

They all used to live together in a 10 gallon tank, they were small it seemed like enough space. Now they each have their own. Im on Tiger Salamander overload! I think they are beautiful, and they must be taken care of but Im becoming weary.

I really want to set them free. Is this ignorant of me to think they might survive? Where could I do it? Does anyone have experience in this area?

I simply can't afford 40 dollars a month in crickets for them, but i'll take care of them as long as needed.

So, I leave this to all of you enthusiasts.
Can I set them free?

(Message approved by admin)

though 'setting them free' may seem to be the 'right' thing to do it is not right, not only for what you have mentioned-about them surviving- but also it is illegal on the grounds that since you have had them in captive conditions there is a possibility you have exposed them to non native pathogens and releasing them into the wild would risk spreading this to their wild counterparts if they should survive long enough to meet up with them. your best bet is to offer them up to other people as pets, either offer them to local schools or you can post them here for adoption.

Sarah, I agree with Paris, don't set them loose. If you put an ad in the "for sale, international" part of this forum, I'm sure someone in canada will be willing to take them off your hands.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back