Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What type of pond for salamanders?

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
I've read that you can put mudpuppies and other Necturus species in backyard ponds. I think I may be getting one soon and I was wondering what size (depth especially) I should get the pond liner to be for one or 2 Necturus. Just a thought, thanks!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In your neck of the woods, summer temps would probably be too high to keep them outside. Unless you can be absolutely sure the pond won't go above the mid 60's (hard to do in your backyard type pond), I wouldn't risk it.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say... build it as large and as deep as you can. Then take the water temperature all summer and see how it does. Soil will keep a pond cool, but it depends on the depth and amount of sun it gets. If the temps stay reasonable, then think about Necturus.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
I'll just go for the deepest possible. I was also thinking about getting an Eastern Gulf Coast Waterdog from Florida whick could endure the hotter temps better.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Dug Out.

The pond is all dug out, its a fair size around 2 1/2 feet deep. It is in a VERY shady spot that rarely gets direct sunlight (only a few hours a day, maybe less than 2 hours). I think it will be filled and ready to go by sometime next week. I'm still pretty sure I'll be getting 1 Eastern Gulf Coast Waterdog (from Florida) soon, I don't know if this opportunity will present it's self for a while. I'll post again with pics of the pond and or the waterdog in the next couple of weeks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1