Feeding Yellow Spotted salamanders

ham

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two wild caught Yellow Spotted salamanders.

One is 3 inches and the other 41/2 inches.

They are in a tank with a water bowl, potting soil, plants, leaf litter, and below a layer of activated charcoal and then a layer of gravel. They were found in Southern MD.

What is the best way to feed these?

So far I have released earthworms in to the tank.

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks
ham

What are the animals' behaviors like? Do they dig? Do they stay on top of the soil, but under a favorite hiding place? Are they timid?

Jennewt

They dig, are reclusive, and they are developing hiding spaces under rocks. I have not wanted to stress them by uprooting them so soon after I brought them home last saturday, yet was worried about them possibly not eating.
Thanks for any tips.
Mark

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back