petstores and salamanders...

ZebraDruid

Reaction score
Country
United States
hey idk if this is the right place to put this or not (sorry if it isn't), but i was wondering why don't the petstores sell very many salamanders and newts? the only things i've seen in petstores are paddletail newts, chinese fire newts (i think they were called :D), and oregon newts (one of which i had a long time ago), and it's only rarely that i see some in the petstores. We went to petsmart yesterday and they had all sorts of lizards and frogs/toads, but the frogs/toads were the ONLY amphibians there, and we also went to another petstore yesterday down the road from petsmart and they mentioned the pet trade and they might get some in a few weeks or so depending on what the people at some pet show wanted... so i was just wondering, WHY don't petstores sell these really cool animals very often? is it just the area i'm in or what?

(btw if you'd prefer me to use better grammar/punctuation just tell me :D, i'm just used to another message board and there was barely ANY grammer/punctuation there lol)

They're not very popular in the pet trade due to their more fragile nature.

In addition to what Kaysie said many salamanders are protected, at least to some extent, in their respective native range(s). I think that other factors may include the secretive nature of most salamanders (outside of the breeding season), making collection more difficult. Also the fact that most salamanders are from more temperate climates, especially when compared to tropical herps, which seem to make up a large percentage of the WC animals offered in the trade. Personally however I am glad that the stores are not full of WC caudates, it is usually depressing enough to look into the typical petshop CFB enclosure.
Chip

(btw if you'd prefer me to use better grammar/punctuation just tell me :D, i'm just used to another message board and there was barely ANY grammer/punctuation there lol)

Grammar/punctuation that is clear and readable is not just preferred, it's something we enforce.;) This forum includes older folks and many non-native English speakers. Using abbreviations like "IDK" makes your messages unreadable to a lot of people.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back