Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamanders in my home - not invited

Ben

Reaction score
I've been searching the web for help and happened onto your site. I understand the value of salamanders and really mean them no harm, but I have now seen two in the lower level of my home. I relocated both to the outdoors, but would like to know how to discourage more from visiting my residence. I'm not an expert and cannot identify the species (if that matters?). The lower level is air conditioned, carpeted living space and not damp in any way. However, I do have a garage below this level and it's possible they could come in there under the garage door. Garage is dry via de-humidifer. Our home is located on a lake in East TN, but we are high and dry. While we do treat our home for invading insects, we do still have some bugs - is this the food they're seeking? I would appreciate any advice on how to discourage these cute little creatures from taking up residence inside. I want them outside where they should be more "at home".

Ben in Tennessee

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They prefer your basement or lower level as it's sheltered from the elements.

To keep them from seeking your house, the best way is to eliminate any cover you have near your house. They'll hide in mulch, leaf litter, plants, etc, and migrate into the house at night (probably when it's raining).

Otherwise, they pose absolutely no threat, and you could just remove them when you see them.

Jake

Reaction score
I wish I had your problem!

You might also try just raising the temperature of the house. It sounds silly and unreasonable to do in the summer, but it would probably discourage them from chillin in your basement. Also, increace the lighting inside, salamanders like cool dark places, not always necessariy damp.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Salamanders will end up in any subterranean space. I think the only way to keep them out would be to seal all doorways, and any other places they could be getting in.

chris_dishmon

Reaction score
exactly what jen said. add an extra layer of foam to the bottom of your garage door. use "great stuff" to fill any cracks or holes in the walls or corners.

lims

Reaction score
nice

like jake said, i think we all wish we had ur "problem", i did once open my front door to find a wandering girl Lissotriton vulgaris staring up at me from the pavement, and my granny who lives in wales in the country finds them in her house under doormats and things,

if jesus comes back as a newt,, theres always space in my barn,,,,,.,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!