Floating plants

H

heather

Hi, its been a while since I posted but I have some questions. My JFB tank is a bare bottomed tank, I dont use gravel because I think its easier to keep clean without it and I dont want my newt to eat any gravel while feeding. So I like plants that can float and right now I have a bit of Java moss and some floating anacharis (sp?)Both plants seem to be doing ok, but what are other low light floating plants or plants that can attach to wood, since wood is my main tank decoration? I was looking at Java fern because I think it could attach to the wood and also a moss ball. Any other ideas, and if I do get a moss ball does is just drift around or does it attach to something? Sorry, I am new to this aquatic plants thing. If any one has a book about aquatic plants that has been useful in their newt tank I would also like to hear about it. Thanks for any replies,
Heather

Hi Heather, I too have bare bottomed tanks and my favourites are Hornwort (ceratophyllum demersum), Elodea (which doesn’t really mind floating) and lots of duckweed.

Thanks for the response. My tank is normally about 60 F, these plants do well with those temps?
Heather

How about Riccia fluitans. It makes nice, bright green floating cushions and if you rear any young they can hide in it. And it tolerates low temperatures.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope to have a nice green, lush tank soon!
Heather

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back