What plants work best with my firebelly

I used Java moss, Elodea and some polysperma.
I used patho also.

No problem. I used the patho as the land plant.
I originally thought that my Cynops Orientalis will love to lay eggs on Elodea but it turned out that they laid most eggs on polysperma.

it seems pretty fine to my tank with a considerably low light. I have even moved some to my larvae tank and they are still fine.

At first when I got them, they started dying. with all those big leaves rotting. But then I patiently waited and soon later, it started growing new branch out with smaller leaves. It turned out that the small leaves grow very well in my low light tank. At the end I cut away all the old dead branch.

oh alright, i just didn't wait long enough! i think ceratophyllum is better though!

Hum.. Interesting, maybe I will try that out one day.
by the way. http://www.tropica.com/ has lot of info on plants. I got their cataloge and learned many things about plant care and hardy level of plants. Those information is on the website also.

I find my Cynops orientalis prefer the leaves of java fern over those of Elodea...which makes sense since yours preffered those of Hygrophila. Elodea leaves must be too small on most plants grown in the aquarium.

Ceratophyllum is a pretty plant but I don't think it is very well suited for newt tanks. The foliage is probably not the best for egg laying and if it doesn't like your conditions it drops its "leaves".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back