Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help for New Owner?

DigiriblePlum

Reaction score
Hi All!
New owner here. Due to some unexpected circumstances I had to pick my leucistic axolotl, Caduceus, up from the breeder before intended and my tank isn't quite ready.
Testing the water regularly and the levels are moving along, but the breeder recommended I keep her in a tub until the tank's ready, changing the water every day.

I picked one up that's a little smaller than the tank she was in at the breeders but as she was sharing that with three or four others I thought it would be okay for a week or so? Hopefully the main tank will keep cycling at the rate it has been.
Had her in there for a couple days and she seems fine, active and eating well and no obvious signs of stress.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for speeding up the main tank's cycling? I was thinking about getting something to eliminate the ammonia but don't know if that'll throw the nitrite and therefore the nitrate levels out of wack.

13kayrose

Reaction score
Congrats on the new axolotl!

To be honest, tank cycling is a process that can’t really be rushed. However what you could try is adding ‘bacteria in a bottle’, I use API Quick Start. This doesn’t mean you can add her right away, but I’ve found it shortens the cycle.

Best of luck :)

Murk

Reaction score
^Agreed.
It is possible to cycle with an axolotl in the tank - this is often faster and if the tank is big enough not all that risky.
It is still a risk though (no matter how small), so if the axolotl is happy in the tub (and you are happy with all the extra work) I'd advice patience.

As for speeding up the cycling, do not remove ammonia. The more ammonia you have, the more ammonia-eating bacteria will grow. The more ammonia-eating bacteria, the more nitrites and thus, more nitrite-eating bacteria. A tank that's gross cycles quickest (as long as it's not a completely toxic cesspool).
Other things that help are loads of surface area (rocks, plants, filter media) and a running filter.
If you have a friend or an aquarium shop with an established tank, borrowing some tank ornaments or filter media is an easy way to get a load of cycling bacteria as well.
If you don't have any life plants try to find some. They're great for stabilising ammonia and nitrates: rotting or old plant material is a solid source of ammonia, and new growth uses up nitrates. They also offer a good surface for beneficial bacteria, and since your tank is without axolotl for a while this is a great opportunity for the plants to grow the roots they need to survive an axolotl.

DigiriblePlum

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I'll just keep my fingers crossed the cycling keeps going as well as it has been! Got a couple plants in there now as well, hopefully not too long left

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!