Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plants,Wood ect...

N

newt_guy

Can i put normal fake house plants into my newts tank or drift wood, rocks, or anything like that?What would i do too make it clean so that i could use it?I want to make a cave out of pvc with rocks glued to it.What type of glue should i use?Thanks.

J

jennifer

For glue, you should use aquarium silicone sealant, the kind sold in pet departments. You can use ordinary rocks from outside - I recommend boiling them first. I use fake silk houseplants, but if they are going into an aquatic tank, be sure they don't have metal wire inside - it can rust and/or leech metals into the water. For the fake plants, I just soak them in water for a day before using them.

T

tyler

They also sell plastic plants in pet stores, those should work well too.

J

jennifer

You have a small Walmart, but no pet store. Frankly, I find that a bit difficult to believe, newtguy. Also, even small Walmart stores usually have a small pet supply department.

N

newt_guy

The petstore shut the doors a few months ago.The walmart has pet stuff but no fish and that sort of thing just food and that.

I

ian

You might have to order online. But is the glue really necessary? Cause I never used those fancy stuffs.

ali

Reaction score
I think you should do some searching of the yellow pages. If there were NO pet stores, then no one would have pets. They might be buried in a corner of town. They might be in the next town over, but they're there.

J

joan

PVC doesn't float in water. I use PVC in all my tanks. You don't need to glue rocks to it to keep it from floating.

N

newt_guy

Thanks.Trust me there is no pet stores none for about 200+ miles it shutdown about a month ago.They always had a hard time selling stuff.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1