Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How long does it take for an axie to excrete?

S

swiftrat

I got my axolotl exactly 3 days ago, on the first day I fed him a live feeder fish, some live bloodworms and a few pieces of beef heart.

He is in a bare tank and there are no stools present. Is this normal for an axie to take so long or is he constipated? *worries*

L

leighton

Hi Swiftrat,

I've read that three days is the usual time it takes, but our axolotls seem to vary between two and five days, depending on temperature (colder means slower). I'm afraid that I don't know whether this is 'normal'...

S

swiftrat

Hmmm... Day 4 and still nothing.

He is still pretty active now and then, occasionally swimming about and then resting again. I noticed last night that his legs had floated upwards while laying on the bottom with a silly grin on his face... He ate some live bloodworms last night to.

I'm going to go see a few places about getting some earthworms.

E

elisheba

I think you're probably feeding too much! For our adults we feed a little bloodworm or a few salmon pellets (a little meaning a piece the size of the first joint of my little finger, a few meaning 3-5) twice a week.

L

leighton

Elisheba's probably right. We feed our adults on catfish pellets and earthworms. They either get half an earthworm each, or about 15-20 pellets (they're small), every two to three days.

I'm interested to know where you get your beef heart from, I'm having difficulty sourcing it (possibly due to BSE?)

M

mik

I change diet of my beasties everyday for variety. They eat every day and are quite active.

Greedy beggars had wax worms last night (Tweak and Arwen ate 8 apeice while Sirius and Ariel each ate 5).

Evening before was earthoworms and day before that was Ox heart. I also use Brine shrimp for the little guys and lamb or beef liver.

Ox heart and liver I get from any REAL butchers but you can get lambs heart and liver from Morrisons. Most big supermarkets won't sell offal for some reason best known to themselves.

I think mine are spoilt. I've tied them with any number of types and size of pellets but they are met with disinterest. Also mealworms none of my beasties will entertain them yet I know from past experiencce that all types of sallies love them.
Regards,

S

swiftrat

Elisheba, that's about the amount I feed him every second day.

Leighton, I go to my local butcher shop for diced beef heart. Ask for the lean, no preservatives stuff.

Mik, variety is good. =
happy.gif

S

swiftrat

Update: Oh yeah, by the way - this morning I found some excrement on the tank floor. Now I can quit worrying, for the time being.

L

leighton

I'm glad to hear your axolotl finally went, Swiftrat. ;)

I've tried 'real' butchers around Dundee, and they're reluctant to sell offal it seems - it's probably all used for haggis... I'll try a little liver instead for now, but I'll persist in trying to find heart.

It mentions elsewhere on the site (http://axolotl.caudata.org/page_3.htm) that axolotls have difficulty with the chitin in mealworms, so I thought I'd bring it up here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1