Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

State of Chinese Giant Salamanders?

newtron

Reaction score
Does anyone know the current state of Giant Salamanders in China and whether programs to breed them are successful on a large scale? I know much advances and successes has been made with the Japanese species but not much about the Chinese one.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I can't directly answer your question without digging for references, but I can tell you that they are a pest in Japan, where they are introduced and spreading within habitats of Japanese giants.

Reaction score

BioGirl

Reaction score
I actually just got back from the MO Herp conference and the state herpetologist spent a few weeks in China and Japan touring their breeding facilities in hopes to help breed Hellbenders in MO. The chinese do not really know what the natural range of their salamanders is, nor how many are left in the wild. They breed hundreds in captivity and sell them for food, etc.. They are not really trying to reintroduce them to the wild. The breeding is successful though. The japanese know the wild populations and have pit tagged every individual. They are starting to have breeding success and are committed to helping wild populations. Unfortunately the biggest problem is the streams that have been dammed- the scientists literally do not have enough money to build rock walkways through the dams that the salamanders can climb over. That is the only thing left to do it seemed to me, help them transverse the dams. I was really impressed with how the state herpetologist described Japan's efforts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1