Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Notophthalmus meridionalis any private breeder?

Viking

Reaction score
I am curious if people are breeding these outside of zoos. At some point in the future I want to get some. I like the idea of a newt that doesn't mind being warm.

Deekay

Reaction score
N. meridionalis is not in private collections legally to my knowledge. It is listed as endangered on the IUCN red list and is a state threatened species in Texas.

The private trade missed the boat on them before restrictions were put in place.

JM29

Reaction score
Yes. Sadly, it's a general feature : when a species is threatened, the first, and often only law for conservation is against collection, even if the main cause is another factor.

From Amphibiaweb :
"The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department currently lists black-spotted newts as Endangered, and specimens are protected from collection. Despite this, and the fact that black-spotted newts occur in the United States only in Texas, these animals have no Federal listing status. Continued land clearing for agriculture and urban development pose the greatest threats to these salamanders."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!