Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Midwife toad info sought

M

matt

Hi all,

After unsuccessfully asking for any extra advice on the care of my huge white-lipped frogs, I'm hoping someone can chip in some care tips re the midwife toads I have my eye on in the local petshop...

I'm particularly keen to get advice re temp... the shop is keeping them warmer than I would.

Morg? Caleb?

morg

Reaction score
Matt
As you know I recently aquired some of these little toads, but found it very difficult to find captive care details.
Caleb was a great help here, by sending me articles on both wild colonies in the UK and info on keeping and breeding midwife toads in outdoor enclosures.
The only information I could find on keeping in a terrarium was that they require a moist terrarium with lots of hiding places and a shallow water bowl.
I have been trying to email you on the subject of midwife toads but for some reason my hotmail address will no longer send to aol.

C

chris

Matt,

You can keep them in the same way as you would keep fire salamanders, although they are slightly more tolerant of hot weather. Give them plenty of places to hide. You only need a bowl of water if you intend to breed them, and then only when the males are carrying eggs. As you probably know, there are several introduced colonies in England, as far north as Worksop, where they have survived several decades.

M

matthew

Cheers for info Chris.
I've had input from a few sources now and I'm really enjoying my latest new species.

S

sebastian

Hello

I am an orderly of many different Alytes. I can send photos of Terrarien and Alytes for my loyality.
All Alytes like it dryly. Credit the Alytes dies of a damp Terrarium for her for !!!
A good ventilating is also important. Radiator isn't important at a room location.
Is something sun well.
The care like Salamandra is fatal.
Many flat stones are optimal a ground reason of loose-packed earth and on this.
For the water a flat bowl suffices.

I every year have many larvae of Iberian Alytes and like to give these to interested parties.

Sebastian.

C

chris

Yes, I would agree - not too damp, and well ventilated. But this is how I keep Salamandra, too. A crumbly texture of soil is good - I have used John Innes soil mix just as it comes out of the bag. Add a few flat stones, as Sebastian rightly says.

Chris

M

matthew

Is there a type of light that will let me see my nocturnal toad / frog species at night?

I know there is a blue moon tube which some people have used but I'm guessing there must be some type of light that would let me see all the drama I miss after lights-out without interfering or heating the viv / tank?

Or have I seen too many wildife programmes with infrared cameras?

Best//M

M

matthew

... only the reason I ask (I feel dreadful repying to my own message)... is that I've seen two types of red bulb, emitting minimal heat, aimed at the reptile market, for night-time viewing.
Wouldn't this be great for night-time amphibian viewing too?

morg

Reaction score
Matt
To observe the life in my newt room after dark I just use a standard lamp with a yellow light bulb.
It lightens the room just enough to be able to observe whats going on but does not seem to trouble nocturnal amphibians which go about their usual nighyt time routines.

M

matthew

... and I do the same Morg but I wondered... what if there's a new way to do it, with a dark room and an unintrusive light source IN the tank / viv?
Just thought it might be fun.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1