Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Do Axolotls "Need" Cold Water?

Day

Reaction score
I was at the pet store today asking for a chiller for my 40 gallon tank. And some guy who worked there was selling them with no chiller, no ice packs, nothing. He said they "prefer" cold water but don't "need it". These axolotls were hella small they had to be 2 weeks old. I go to this pet store all the time and this is the first time I've seen them have axolotls so its not like he had these axolotls for a long time and knows what he's talking about. Ive had my axolotls for 4 years now and during my 4 years of research have I EVER heard someone say that its not mandatory for them to have cold water. I even checked the axolotl guide. I just wanna hear what you guys think. I pretty much have no way to get a chiller now because Im young - a teen. So this guy pretty much convinced my mother, the non existing buyer of that chiller, that axolotls don't need cold water. So once I move, my axolotls are pretty much gonna die from heat. Ice packs and water bottles are not gonna solve that problem for a big tank.

carsmiku

Reaction score
depends on where you live and house cold the room temp is and where the tank is placed.

Chillers are a must in my opinion. As i had one die due to temp and learned my lesson.

Go on craigslist ive seen the m on there for around $150. alot of them are used in hydroponic sets.

Day

Reaction score
depends on where you live and house cold the room temp is and where the tank is placed.

Chillers are a must in my opinion. As i had one die due to temp and learned my lesson.

Go on craigslist ive seen the m on there for around $150. alot of them are used in hydroponic sets.
I thought so. I knew I wasnt stupid. I just needed a say from someone else.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Axies NEED temps under 20C, if you can't maintain that then your axies are going to suffer. In some places a chiller is essential (i.e. southern USA)

Vithush

Reaction score
You don't need one where I am (Canada) but warmer places would need a chiller

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!