Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

<i>H. nebulosus</i> larvae & morphs

TJ

Reaction score
I hadn't really shown any pictures until now but I've been raising H.nebulosus again this year. They started to morph last week
biggrin.gif

16368.jpg

16369.jpg

16370.jpg

I had about 90 hatch from a pair of egg sacs, the mortality rate was minimal, I gave 25-30 away, and so I now have around 50, about the same as the number of morphs I hung on to from last year's sacs. I hope to eventually pair up adults from last year's group with those from this year's group for breeding.

(Message edited by TJ on May 31, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
This is one of my simple setups for pre-morph Hynobiids:

16663.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
They're more spotted than the ones I raised last year:

17071.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks, Mark. No, no pics of adults. This species doesn't inhabit my part of Japan, though I see them in pet shops here from time to time. They're from western Japan. The oldest ones I keep now are from last year's eggs. Their yellow tails are brighter than this year's group. The ones pictured in this thread come from egg sacs laid in somebody's biotope in northern Kyushu. Last year's batch is from the area of Iki Island off western Kyushu. There's quite some regional variation in this species.

I saw some H.nebulosus the other day that morphed from larvae I gave away to a friend about 2 months ago, and they were tiny! Their morphing at such a small size is undoubtedly heat-related. Mine are kept significantly cooler and several have yet to morph. I wish they'd hurry it up
biggrin.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1