The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 30th April 2017   #1
Leah
(Hoagii)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Hoagii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Share your axolotl's weird regenerations!

I love seeing pictures of axolotls' regenerative abilities in action, so I thought some of you may find this interesting.

About a year ago, I came home to find my axolotl had kinked off one of his fingers at a 90 degree angle. It was determined that it was a closed fracture or dislocation and not at risk for infection, so I just left it alone.
Click the image to open in full size.

Eventually the little finger started to straighten out and heal, but I noticed he was also getting a little bulge out the back of his finger. From what I can guess, his hand lost the signal that his fingertip was still there after the break, and decided to grow a new one, even with the old one still attached!

So now he has a cute little mutant finger :P He kind of walks on it like a high heeled shoe lol

I'd love to see more pictures of your little mutants!!

Hoagii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017   #2
Ultra Frog
(Purpletotodile)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Purpletotodile has given good advice and informationPurpletotodile has given good advice and information
Default Re: Share your axolotl's weird regenerations!

Not really a regeneration, but when she was a baby she got a fungal infection and her gill now has a permanent curl.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170109_211111.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	50359

Old 5th June 2017   #3
Serena
(PixelStix)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: PixelStix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Share your axolotl's weird regenerations!

My new baby had a gill bitten off by a sibling before I got him, and it grew back with a slight kink in it. It's his funky little haircut :)

PixelStix is offline   Reply With Quote