The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 4th September 2018   #1
CrazyCatLady

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: CrazyCatLady is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What type is my axolotl? please help!

SOOO, i bought an axolotl from a breeder online, i got him at 5 months old. My axolotl is now 6 months old, I've had him for a month. I was told he was a copper, he was very copper colored with slightly reddish tone in his gills. This last month he has just been getting darker, which makes me question is he really a copper? I think he may be a wildtype, but this is my first axolotl. I would like someone with knowledge of these animals to let me know what you think please!

thank you, cassie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1538.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	54220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1536.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	54221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1535.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	54222  

CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: What type is my axolotl? please help!

Wow in the second photo it almost looks like a mosaic, the underside leucy and the top copper or wildtype. It could just be the lighting though!
Take a close look at the eyes, with a light shining. Both coppers and wilds have a reflective ring but coppers also have a red tinge to the eye (according to the link I have attached. My copper does have this).
Coppers usually will have the red gills and wilds black/purple gills. In the pictures it does look like the skin has some black tinge to it which coppers don't really have, as they are a type of albino.
It is normal for axolotl to slightly change colour as they age, my wildtype looks almost melanoid in the body now.
Do you have any photos of when you first got him? Do you know what his parents looked like? Try some different lighting to see if you can get a clearer photo of the skin.
Take a look at this link, it describes the types pretty well https://axolotlcity.com/different-types-of-axolotls/

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018   #3
CrazyCatLady

Nationality:

so the first picture is the day i got him, and the other photo is 2 weeks later, and the ones i posted on the thread were yesterday. let me know what you think, also i don't know what the parents were, the lady bought eggs online and hatched them to sell. she told me it was a copper but now i'm just not so sure.
Attached Images

Old 5th September 2018   #4
CrazyCatLady

Nationality:

see his gills used to have a reddish tone, and now he looks almost wildtype.

Old 5th September 2018   #5
CrazyCatLady

Nationality:

when he is big enough to have a friend i want either a lucy or a silver dalmatian (i think that's what they're called). do you know what age i should wait until i get him a buddy?

ps. also i just did the flashlight thing it looks like he has dark eyes with a little gold circle around the eye. but doesnt really shine much.

Old 6th September 2018   #6
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I can't make the pictures bigger for some reason, but I am still thinking you could have a mosaic on your hands!
I would love a silver dalmation, but I don't think I can get them here in Aus, they're super pretty. If you had that and a mosaic you would be one lucky person! Leucys are also lovely, if I add another to my tank I will probably look for a speckled leucy.

Old 7th September 2018   #7
CrazyCatLady

Nationality:

I thought mosaics have like marks that are random and blotchy looking but mine is pretty much even everywhere the same pattern. But his under belly is very light.

Old 7th September 2018   #8
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I think there can be a lot of variations, and from the pictures it does look like the underside is pretty bare of splotches. I could be completely wrong though, haha.
Or maybe it just has a loss of pigment, which can sometimes look like vitiligo. I've seen quite a few posts about this. Take a look at this thread https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66100
Would love to see what other's think about your one!

Old 7th September 2018   #9
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

From the first pictures I would say its a wild type. You'll find that on different substrates the colour will alter slightly. Maybe post a few more photo's after a few weeks when it has settled down in its new home :)

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote