The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 16th March 2013   #1
jburns2422

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jburns2422 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Guy!! 1 Axolotl, having problems with his back legs!?

Hey all! I have 1 axolotl and he is having problems with his back legs he acts like they are paralized?? I have googled the **** outta this issue and havn't found anything yet! Any ideas?? Well I'm here to learn and listen and to have fun! See ya around

Last edited by jburns2422; 16th March 2013 at 04:08. Reason: mispelled
jburns2422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013   #2
CJ
(CJ1981)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: CJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: New Guy!! 1 Axolotl, having problems with his back legs!?

Are you able to post pictures or a video?

Axolotls often look like they were made then had legs stuck on afterwards so they don't quite know how to use them. A visual of what is going on would help people see if there is a problem or if it is just normal Axolotl wonkiness!

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions
CJ1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013   #3
jburns2422

Nationality:

This isn't something that he's always done, he's always been very graceful and Happy and then within 2 days he went from axie to.....what he is now he acts like he can't use his back legs, keeps them stuffed parrallel to his body but when I touch them with the tweezers he responds to even the smallest touch?? He is currently fridged and has been for almost a month now, still eats (frozen brine) just tried bloodworms tonight and that other frozen shrimp (can't think of the name as of now) he eats, but I have to make it "wiggle" in front of him, (feels to me like he's on life support) I will keep on doing this and hopefully he pulls through but any and all advice is appreciated!! Attempting to post pics now. I've done a full work-up on the parameters and everything is within range I also have a pic.

Old 22nd March 2013   #4
jburns2422

Nationality:
Thumbs down Re: New Guy!! 1 Axolotl, having problems with his back legs!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburns2422 View Post
This isn't something that he's always done, he's always been very graceful and Happy and then within 2 days he went from axie to.....what he is now he acts like he can't use his back legs, keeps them stuffed parrallel to his body but when I touch them with the tweezers he responds to even the smallest touch?? He is currently fridged and has been for almost a month now, still eats (frozen brine) just tried bloodworms tonight and that other frozen shrimp (can't think of the name as of now) he eats, but I have to make it "wiggle" in front of him, (feels to me like he's on life support) I will keep on doing this and hopefully he pulls through but any and all advice is appreciated!! Attempting to post pics now. I've done a full work-up on the parameters and everything is within range I also have a pic.
Well I can't seem to figure out how to upload my pics off my phone to the site! Sorry I'm electronics illiterate

Old 22nd March 2013   #5
Sharon
(Mortimer)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Mortimer has given good advice and informationMortimer has given good advice and information

If you act like your going to write a response, click on the second icon from the left if the picture is on your phone or the icon to the very left if you are about to take the picture. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363931638.739230.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	29186

Mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013   #6
Sharon
(Mortimer)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Mortimer has given good advice and informationMortimer has given good advice and information

You're. (not Your...I hate when I do that!)

Mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013   #7
Beks
(snuggly time)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: snuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and information

Has he been in a smallish tub in the fridge? Maybe he's not used to using them if he's not had much space.

snuggly time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013   #8
FX1C
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: FX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

What was the original reason for fridging him?

A month is a long time to carry out fridge treatment.. Concerns me

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C is offline   Reply With Quote