Pipa breeding cradle.

mike

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Mike East
Here's how Lars Osterdahl keeps his Pipa tadpoles from being eaten!
25031.jpg

The cradle is simply a glass contraption, siliconed together from six rectangular pieces of glass. Two are almost quadratic and make the gables. The remaining four are longer and make up the sides of the cradle, there is a slit at the V at the bottom, so that the tadpoles fall through to the outer tank, and when they start to swim they are out of reach of the female.
The cradle stands on the bottom of the aquarium, with the V opening just one centimetre above the base.
Size for P.parva, P.carvalhoi is 40cms long and 20 cms wide and deep.
25034.jpg

Thanks Mike, I've been thinking about something like this for a while. Much better than mesh. Looks like an old-fashioned livebearer breeding trap.

how are your Pipa getting on Mike? Is this in prep for a breeding project for you?

Hi Colin,
The most "difficult" part in breeding the smaller Pipa is introducing them to each other!...after that it's just clockwork.
I have a pair of parva that continuously produce every six weeks or so.
The trick is saving the tadpoles from greedy mouths.
frog.gif

Now I have the answer.
Lars kindly sent me some carvalhoi toadlets, but unfortunately they all turned out to be the same sex....but I'm working on it.
Cheers/Mike.

Hi Alan,
It is an old style live bearer trap. Lars is a retired fish (salmon) biologist..

Ed

As It is an issue with livebearers, do the frogs mind being trapped in there?

No the cramped conditions don't seem to bother the female, and she is only transferred to the cradle two weeks after spawning, so isn't confined for too long.

Hi, Chad here, from the States. I tried putting my very pregnant parva in a commercial breeder last night, but she got very stressed out and vomited up all her food. One thing I"ve found to help is to stuff the female with food the last few days before eclosion so she is less hungry when the time comes. My valid batches always have a 21 day gestation to the very day. With my other, premature-birth prone (about 14 -16 days) female the tads are "goofy", and few if any survive.
Chad

Maybe you should write a new paper on breeding your pipa parva ;)

BTW everytime i see that pipa drawing of Lars' I think of Ike now
biggrin.gif
(South Park)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back