Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Xenopus borealis - Tadpole Development

geoff

Reaction score
Let's resurrect this Pipid Folder
happy.gif
. For the past 6 weeks I have been raising Xenopus borealis tadpoles and documenting their progress,with photographs, at: http://www.pipidae.net/cgi/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244

35tads.jpg

M

mark

wow i've never seen tadpoles like this- inexperience !!
they are really crazy and what brilliant pictures.
good link

J

joseph

Are all xenopus illegal in CA? I've seen the 'grow a frog' things sold here, and to my knowledge they contain some kind of Xenopus.

J

joseph

Nate: On the packaging it clearly shows a Xenopus tadpole. In this little kit, the company sends you a tadpole. It also mentions the tadpoles filter feed...and that the food provided nourishes the bacteria or whatever that they feed upon.

I think you have it confused with "Aquababies" in which fish frogs and other things are put into tiny cubes and then sold as ecosystems in which you change the water 2x a year(as if).

J

joseph

Interesting Mike: Never knew grow a frog would use pipiens too. There web site talks only of xenopus.

I heard that were laevis are illegal they send tropicalis, but I don't think that matters as if I remember correctly all xenopus are banned in CA. In fact, I hear tell some got free in Sanfran.

There is yet another one of these overpriced kits sold as "surf frogs"(or something similar) and this one definetly uses leopard frogs in it.

colin

Reaction score
There are members of the Clawed Frog Corner website who have got Silurana frogs from GAF 100% guaranteed...

They were most likely Silurana tropicalis or epitropicalis... Xenopus tropicalis doesnt exist any more as the genus Silurana is used. However, the entire genus is currently being revised and has at least one new species; S. epitropicalis

J

joseph

Hmm...so is that a cheap and risky way to acquire that species? LOL

colin

Reaction score
Yeah it is LOL, but the Silurana that I got for myself and Mike earlier this year were cheaper than Xenopus from Nigeria... just depends I suppose...
21469.jpg

martin

Reaction score
Hello,
very often Siluranas sold as Xenopus tropicalis are not Silurana tropicalis.
Actually three or four Silurana are known:
Silurana tropicalis
Silurana epitropicalis
Silurana "paratropicalis"
Silruana spec.

On Friday I hope to get some Silurana from Nigeria.

Bye Martin

P

patrick

to solve the controversy of GAF.. I have contacted the US fish and game personally.. ALL Xenopus including silurana are restricted in those 13 US states.. I posted the letter in CFC when I still had the group..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1