Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

%$#%#$^@!!!!!!!!!!!

P

paris

DISSAPOINTMENT IN THE LIFE OF PARIS REILLEY.......well as of today i no longer have any eggs that look as if they will survive. the female went from having 120 eggs on her back to having 0. i am unsure if any of the eggs are still viable. many fell off from violent movements in the tank, when i put her in a bucket to calm down(cause there is a sex crazed male on the loose grabbing every one) she calmed down and i thought the eggs had bought more time, but then after i felt they were ok, she would just swim by and they would pop off like pop corn........so...
what did i do wrong?
how can i correct for this?
do these guys breed annually or semi annually?

here is the reason i am wanting info, lefty (my only other female) does have eggs in her(i an feel them) and should come into season soon, so i want to know if i can make this next round work.

E

edward

Hi Paris,
I think what you need is when the next egg laying occurs is for the male to placed into the bucket to prevent stressing the female.

On a second note, have any of the eggs begun to develop?

On a third note, in the wild I think they breed annually but I suspect with heavy feedings and the proper cycling they may be induced to spawn more than once a year but as normal spawnings occur so infrequently in captivity, this is only a theory.

Ed

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If the eggs were fertile they would be covered over and stuck fast by now. They were probably infertile and would have popped off or been absorbed no matter what you did. You will probably only get one crack at it a year per female.
That's why I'm anxious to get micropipas that breed more often and eat much less.

P

paris

the eggs did have skin growing over them, more than 1/2 way up, she now has deep holes in her vascular back.i remember seeing the eggs divide up to a point, i dont know how long they stay at the ball stage but i would have expected by now for them to have folded in 1/2 in that taco shape. i am guessing they were fertile then something went wrong, i am wondering if temp, water depth, water ph/quality ect...my have killed the eggs. has anyone raised them successfully? if so what were your conditions and how soon did you see embryonic development/distint divisions. like i mentioned up there^, i do have lefty left, so i have another that will soon breed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!