Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

TX Press: Unusual catch in Douglassville

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
CITIZENS JOURNAL (Atlanta, Texas) 12 April 08 Unusual catch in Douglassville
An ordinary day of fishing changed for Curtis Steger when he reeled in an odd looking creature that he could not quickly identify out of his and his wife Jane’s pond on State Highway 8 South in Douglassville.
The creature had a long, slender body and two feet located next to its head. Its body was shaped like that of a salamander, which according to Cass County regulatory wildlife biologist Penny Pettit is because it is in that same species.
Pettit said the amphibian is called a lesser siren and this species lives from the coasts of North Carolina and Florida west to Texas and even north to Michigan. The lesser sirens are fully aquatic and don’t move out of the small ponds where they make their homes.
Steger not only caught one of the lesser sirens, but two, both around 18 inches in length. Lesser sirens are very secretive, nocturnal creatures that feed mostly on aquatic invertebrates, tadpoles, worms, snails, and aquatic plants.
Pettit said one cool thing about the lesser siren is the way their protect themseles from drying out during a drought. The lesser siren secretes a substance from their skin and mix it with mud to make a cocoon-like casing around their bodies and with that they can stay buried in dry mud for months until rain returns. There are two subspecies of lesser sirens, Eastern Lesser Siren and Western Lesser Siren, but Pettit said Steger’s lesser siren is most likely that of the western subspecies.
http://atlantacitizensjournal.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=194&Itemid=2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1