Not really sick, just unusual behaviour

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I will give you a little background information.......
I have 2 axies, male and female both about 12 - 15 months old, I think. My female, Lottie, laid eggs about 3 weeks ago, after which I removed the eggs and put a divider in the tank to keep her and Lexi apart, so she can have a rest, poor thing! Anyway, since they have been in separate sides of the four foot tank she seems to be more active. She spends a lot of the day swimming up and down her half of the tank, banging into the divider then banging into the 'wall' of the tank the other end. Do you think she is missing the four foot length of the tank? Will she get used to having more limited accommodation? She is acting like a juvenile, being so active and hardly ever hiding out the way. In fact, I took out one of the hides I had in the tank as it was taking up so much room in her 2 foot part and she was never using it to hide in anyway! I also thought as they don't need to hide from each other less cover was required. There is still bogwood hidey-holes and plants to hide behing if she needs them, but she just doesn't seem to bother!
I have tested the water for ammonia levels etc. and it's all normal, the temperature fluctuates between 15 and 18 degrees at the moment, nothing else has really changed in the tank, same water flow etc, so I'm baffled. She's going to end up with a very sore nose at this rate!
Any ideas?

Hi Kerry,

If she is constantly swimming and banging into things it sounds like something is certainly stressing her.

If there are no issues with the water quality or temperature...

You mention water flow being the same, but could the filter's outtake flow be being bounced against the divider causing a current in her side of the tank?

If the flow is not the problem, it may be light. I would try covering her side of the tank with a towel or sarong to make a 'big cave' for her and see if that settles her down.

If nothing works, I would put her in a tub and fridge her for a few days to relax and calm her down.

Is she eating well?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back