Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Upgrading tanks?!

hairdressica

Reaction score
I recently was given a new tank for Bowie that measures 70cmx35x35 as an upgrade (approx 75L, 20g)from his itty bitty 20L tank(as I'm thinking of one day adding a new axie -would two fit??)

The new tank has been cleaned (as well as I could) without chemicals
How do I go about moving Bowie across?
His (?)current tank isn't completely cycled but I know it's not suitable in the long term

I've currently got 3 what I call "cannon fodder fish" in the large tank to try jump start the cycle, but Bowie is fast out growing the 20L and I'm anxious to upgrade. I will be putting all the decor from the small tank across when he moves (as I know they carry good bacteria) but really want to get him upgraded ASAP
What are people's recommendations?

(It's also very annoying having two filters running when you're trying to sleep- but it's what I'm willing to do for this ridiculous little creature)

Attachments

• IMG_7454.jpg
    IMG_7454.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_7463.jpg
    IMG_7463.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_7464.jpg
    IMG_7464.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 206

Atrus808

Reaction score
Hi, just left you a message on your previous post...Then I saw this one.
Since you aren't cycled on either tank at this point and you put Bowie back in the original tank, you could just move him into the new one. Place as much original filter media and ornaments/hides so you don't lose all the existing bacteria.
Remember, test test test and frequent water changes if you continue to cycle with Bowie in the tank.
P.S. Remember to remove the fish, don't keep them with Bowie ?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

hairdressica

Reaction score
Hi, just left you a message on your previous post...Then I saw this one.
Since you aren't cycled on either tank at this point and you put Bowie back in the original tank, you could just move him into the new one. Place as much original filter media and ornaments/hides so you don't lose all the existing bacteria.
Remember, test test test and frequent water changes if you continue to cycle with Bowie in the tank.
P.S. Remember to remove the fish, don't keep them with Bowie ?

My main concern here is that the new tank is so incredibly cloudy that i can barely see... I only recently got Bowies current tiny tank all cleared up and s/he seems so calm and just like their usual self... i dont wanna jeopardize that

...I also have no idea HOW to put the old filter media in the new filter (as i dont know how to open the new filter???)
I just dont want the ammonia fear again, the tiny tank ammonia has lowered and im only just showing signs of nitrates... i think

I also have no where to put the fish then???

Atrus808

Reaction score
Personally, I would suggest keeping Bowie is the smaller tank until you can cycle the bigger one. It sounds like your cycle is finally starting in the small tank. Just be sure to test frequently and do water changes to keep the levels in check

hairdressica

Reaction score
Personally, I would suggest keeping Bowie is the smaller tank until you can cycle the bigger one. It sounds like your cycle is finally starting in the small tank. Just be sure to test frequently and do water changes to keep the levels in check

OOPS - nitrITES are showing - but only just. its not 0ppm, and not .25ppm - but definitely not just blue anymore
Im about to do another water change now
Having the plant in the tank is doing wonders... may have to invest in more for my large tank.. how does lucky bamboo do in a tank?

Attachments

• 14937062_10154625679738077_1277788529_n.jpg
    14937062_10154625679738077_1277788529_n.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 14938057_10154625679468077_644755200_n.jpg
    14938057_10154625679468077_644755200_n.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 165

Atrus808

Reaction score
I've never had lucky bamboo in my tanks but I have had them as desk plants. They need to be only partially submerged, at least half or more of the top should be out of the water. Maybe someone with previous experience can give you a better opinion on lucky bamboo.
I personally use anubias nana on driftwood and floating water lettuce in my tank

hairdressica

Reaction score
I've never had lucky bamboo in my tanks but I have had them as desk plants. They need to be only partially submerged, at least half or more of the top should be out of the water. Maybe someone with previous experience can give you a better opinion on lucky bamboo.
I personally use anubias nana on driftwood and floating water lettuce in my tank

ive got lucky bamboo on my unit and its doing really well.. it cant help to try - bamboo is like, $3
the plant i have in bowies tank is a "Broad Corymbosa" and it seems splendid.
how does the moss do??

Also should i keep bowie in this tiny tank until the other one is cycled. what d'ya reckon is the time it'll tank to cycle the large tank??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1