Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Buy-axolotls.com... (Rant)

Cryowuff

Reaction score
Seriously, what the hell is with this site (buy-axolotls.com)? I've skimmed it in the past, but I was combing through it tonight and I'm puzzled. The amount of misinformation and self-contradiction polluting this website is ghastly.

According to the site: chlorine is safe for axolotls because humans can swim in chlorinated pools? Filters shouldn't be used because they "don't tell you when they stop working?" Axolotls don't breathe water (what exactly would their gills be for if this were the case)? That it's recommended to keep 2 axolotls (potentially more) in a 10 gallon tank because any bigger is bad for them?

Then the site's owner ironically goes on to state that information delivered with poor writing quality is not trustworthy, while his own site is infested with grammatical and spelling errors, and that gravel is a number one killer of axolotls - yet he's using pictures of axolotls on gravel in the sale portion of his site? Oy vey.

And then they go and charge $190 plus shipping for a GFP leucistic? Holy cow. Is this supposed to be a legit site or are we being pranked?

Last edited by a moderator:

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Their are lots of real interesting people selling axolotls. You seem to be doing a good job sorting them out.

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
its a cash grab at people who arent trying to do much research before buying a new pet, its unfortunate how many people end up falling for garbage sites like that just because its all in one place.
he has a lot of half truths in his statements, like sure a tiny amount of chlorine is probably ok but to insinuate that its silly to use dechlorinator?? just bad advice for the novice tank keeper.
and sure filters can fail, but thats why we test water parameters weekly (*or whatever your routine is).

the part that makes me laugh is "cannibalism is learned, we separate our axolotls during the cannibalistic phase so they never learn this behavior", like suuuuure buddy, a natural inclination to eat anything moving near you is "learned behavior" and not instinct.

basilstorm

Reaction score
The part that got me was the suggestion that it's cruel to keep single axolotls in a tank; you can tell this person just wants to make money and sell multiple axies. No mention, at all, that juveniles go through a cannibalism stage

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!