Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

H.dunni arrived today :D

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
yeah! Perfect plan then... Dang never tought they were such machines when coming to feeding time lol. I had them as really picky in my mind... Obviously I was wrong :eek::D

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I just found out i have at least one male :)
If i ever manage to catch the rest in the jungle of doom that is their tank, i´ll try to sex them, or at least see where they are at.
Ah, i love this species...i barely see them but when i do i drool like an idiot.

Sorry for the incredibly uninteresting update, but i´m thrilled :D

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It seems that i have three males and two possible females :) I´m not sure of the females yet, time will tell, but i´m rather confident.
Here are a couple of pictures of one of the suspected females and one of the males. They are spending some time in the water recently and finally seem to have figured out how to feed underwater. It´s amazing how clumsy they have been at it in the past considering how good they are on land.
I like these guys more each day if it´s even possible!

Attachments

• P1080631.JPG
    P1080631.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 474
  • P1080630.JPG
    P1080630.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 377
  • P1080626.JPG
    P1080626.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 378
  • P1080597.JPG
    P1080597.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 389

zoezakella

Reaction score
Some amazing looking newts and set up there, looks like they have more than settled in :D

slowfoot

Reaction score
They look super healthy - good job with these guys! Their arms look especially robust (i.e., chubby) :p

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the male kind of looks like he is flexing to impress xD
The chubby arms are one of the diferences that have appeared between individuals. As far as i can tell from pictures, this is consistent with males/females.

Molch

Reaction score
awesome critters. I love the blue speckles and the impressive biceps on those guys. Have you been arm-wrestling them?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Are you kidding? I really don´t need the humiliation...

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
One of the males was generous enough to allow my unworthy person to take a few close up pictures and i wanted to share one where the cream colored throat is nice and obvious. We don´t really get to see much of hynobiids, let alone anything in detail, so even though the picture is garbage, here it is.

Attachments

• P1080641.JPG
    P1080641.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 373

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Is it the spring of 2013 already, and if not, why? WHYYYYYYYY?????

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1