Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The Proof is in the Doody!

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
Undeniable proof that Waxworms can be hard to digest. I've found several instances of scat from my Tiger Salamander having a whole or nearly whole Waxworm in it. No worries! She's on earthworms now. ^^

Waxworms may still be appropriate for other critters, with more potent digestive systems, but it seems for most critters that don't actually chew, the caterpillars remain fairly whole.

Attachments

• pooworm.JPG
    pooworm.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 944

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I have never seen a wax worm pass though any of my salamanders like that before.

freves

Reaction score
When feeding waxworms to caudates I always cut them open first in order to make digestion easier. As written in numerous places they should never be used as a staple diet anyway but make a great treat when fed sparingly. I also use them to fatten up emaciated imports (lizards and salamanders).
Chip

H

Helena

Hi,

The crickets are very bad right now, they are affected by a disease that gets under their exoskeleton and kills them. I have fire bellied toads and had to resort to buying them mealworms to eat instead. I was just wondering what i should feed the mealworms to keep them alive.

- Thanks!

Munfy

Reaction score
All you need to keep your mealworms happy is some oatmeat or qucik oats or a combimation of the 2 you can keep them in a kritter keeper with the oats as substrate and just put the occasinal apple orangne or even potato slice for moisture and to add nutriaents. If they dont have enoug moisture they will bite there tank mates and suck the water from them until they die, if they pupate dont worry they will still move enough to produce a feeding response and are actualy much plumper and a fovorite treat for my beardy, I might also suggest isopods also known as wood lice they are a great calcium source and another recently discovered favorite.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1